Puffer Present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a dear friend who recently became interested in fish but for financial reasons hasn't started up a tank, even though he spends more time than I do reading/researching. I've been considering starting up a 10 gal for him and giving it as a present. The problem is that he generally isn't interested in freshwater (prefers saltwater) EXCEPT for puffers. He thinks they're darling (my word) but I don't know anything about them other than they have nasty attitudes and need brackish water.

Would 10 gal be too small for any of the puffers? Are they ok as a beginner fish or way too difficult? Any ideas on species? How many? Any tankmates?

Not all puffers need brackish water and I don't think a 10 gallon is too small if you get the right ones. Ask your lfs about what freshwater puffers they can get for you. The ones I know of that are small (1-4 inches) and freshwater are the red-bellied, red-green dwarf, spotted congo and steindachner. Although the only real peaceful one of those 4 is the spotted congo. Good luck. :)

The dwarf Malabar puffer is a completely FW fish, and is often available at PetsMart of all places. They are wee tiny little fellows and you could do 4 in a 10gal. You could not have anything else in there, but they are wonderfully interesting.

Be sure he really wants the responsibility of the tank before you do it (very, very generous of you to provide this for him!) and keep in mind that most puffers will do well with a diet of frozen bloodworms and live baby snails, so he will have to be able to provide that - you can't put frozen food in a vacation feeder, lol!

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/puf-trav.htm

I'm not sure if this site is accurate but it shows all the other common names, sizes, etc. You almost might wanna check out the puffer forums.. http://puffer.proboards2.com/

TG, I've noticed you have experience with puffers :D :D :D I was hooked on dwarf puffers when I first saw them.. but now I love danios too! Do you think the dwarf puffers would be okay with some zebra danios?

I actually have my dwarf puffer in with 4 zebra danios, 3 small tetras, some loaches, two cories, one platy, and one barb (some are survivors from prior purchases), and everyone gets along famously. I have had the puffer for quite a while and in the beginning he tried to nip at the danios but never bothered anyone else. The danios proved to be too fast for him though and he hasn't messed with them in months.

I have had dwarf puffers with tiger barbs, but I have also had dwarf puffers tear each other to shreds (pitbull style, grab on and shake until pieces come off!) so I would in general recommend they be kept in species only tanks. I have heard of people having success keeping them in a quasi-community tank, like poppab02, but since I've seen what they are capable of I'm cautious about it.

Back
Top Bottom