pufferfish questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read at many places that figure 8 puffers are a freshwater puffer and can be placed peacefully in a community tank. do they possess any toxins??
Also, I have a indian dwarf puffer setup and a brackish green spotted puffer setup, are any of these types of puffers poisonous??

I don't know about the Indian Dwarf. The Spotted and the Figure 8 both, as they age, build up toxins in their gonads and liver. I don't think this poses a threat to an aquarium as long as any dead puffers are removed from the tank before they begin to decompose. The toxin is used as a last ditch effort when the puffer is being eaten by a predator. If I understand correctly, they basically eviscerate themselves. Although this kills the puffer, it also usually results in the death of the predator. This is based on what I have read and, as I'm sure you have found out, puffer info is scarce and often contradictory.
Logan J

I more worry the aggresive nature of the puffer then the toxin. They are terrible fin nipper if mix with other species.

I agree, Vega. I've never read ANYWHERE that a puffer makes a good "community fish".

I'd like to get some puffers but you're so limited on what you can put with them that for the time being I'm pufferless. ;) I will probably set up a small puffer-only tank some day.

I've been told that you can get away with putting the Indian Dwarf in a community tank because he's so tiny that he isn't likely to kill a larger tankmate. But he will chew up the fins.

I also concur, 99.9% of all puffers (the 0.1% would be the SA Puffer) are non community fish. Depending on the size of your tank you could keep a f-8 with your GSP, but unless it's over 40g I recommend against that idea. I had dwarf indian puffers in 30g community tank before, but the inhabitants were more than capable of taking care of themselves from the puffers. I found the puffers in-fought and never really touched any of the other fish. Anyhow as I've said before a thousand times, f-8s are BW fish and are not FW.

Btw I almost bought a pair too but i change my mind when my lfs told me that they experience before that a 4 cm green spotted puffer actually almost nip clean tail n fin of a 20 cm flower horn (a species of agressive Cichlid) 8O

Guess those puffing bugger are not a good tank mate after all :twisted:

For a while i had a green spotted puffer in with 2 clowns, a coral beauty and a lawnmower blenny. He was very peaceful and kept to himself. Unfortunately, the GSP is the only puffer I have experience with.

Back
Top Bottom