Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexRoerden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again everyone, so I had a dogface puffer as a baby, and he would be active but then go lay on a rock and look sick, now I have a neon blue spotted puffer that seems to do the same thing, he’ll lay down and look sick, but then swim and his color comes back. Is this a normal thing for puffers? IMG_1972.jpg

Did the dogface die? Are they in the same system? How large is the tank? Parameters? Any new fish introduced lately?

Did the dogface die? Are they in the same system? How large is the tank? Parameters? Any new fish introduced lately?

I traded in my other puffer, he also had a fungus infection, i have a 37 gallon tank but upgrading next week to a 125. Peramiters are ok besides phosphate at 2 ppm. I only added the puffer 2 or 3 days ago.

Is this a different system than the sick clowns I was just helping to guide you through?
If not...all of the same applies. But seeing this I have more questions, just doubling up on the ones already asked though. Are these all new tanks?

Is this a different system than the sick clowns I was just helping to guide you through?
If not...all of the same applies. But seeing this I have more questions, just doubling up on the ones already asked though. Are these all new tanks?

Different system. The clowns died the next day, I added ick medicine as well as api em erytromycin I didn’t know what exactly they had but I probably shouldn’t of mixed the meds. The tank we’re talking about is 37 gallon with a niger trigger, a blonde kole tang the puffer, clownfish that has a little fin rot and overnight looks like someone took a nip of his other fin. and snowflake eel. Ik it’s too small of a tank. This week I’m getting a 125. I can send you a picture of my tank, and yes both systems are newer tanks prob 3 month the 37 gallon and 1 month for the dead clowns tank

I added only the api em to the 37 gallon tank. I’m on my second dosage currently, but the large clown that I have in my 37 gallon has fin rot and overnight there’s another fin that got a chunk taken out of it. I’m new to the hobby so I don’t know exactly what I’m doing yet but there’s definitely something offimage-2021-03-21-20:15:09-808.jpg

image-2021-03-21-20:26:09-690.jpg
He’s a picture of my 37 gal

Upgrading will probably help a lot. I believe all your fish are suffering from a way to overcrowded tank with not enough territory and somewhat poor water quality. You have several large waste producers in a rather small tank.

Yeah, these are all issues being caused by just buying nice looking fish without doing the research on them. These are fish that need much larger tanks and are a great sign all in all of moving way too fast. Nothing good comes fast in this hobby, other than eating people's money. This can be seen easily that we are medicating a tank directly. If this was a copper based medication that copper will now have leached into the rocks in that tank.
In general, these are all fish that will most likely need up being returned at this point and sitting down to figure out what it is that you want to do in this hobby so a system can be set up to success rather than the current shotgun approach.

Back
Top Bottom