Pulsing (pumping) Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjvincent

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the time frame that I need to hold my breath regariding my Xenia? I got them yesterday at the LFS and acclimated them over an hour time frame, after floating them. They starting pulsing almost right away and this morning they look fully inflated and are pulsing pretty good. Does this mean that I am out of the woods regarding the infamous acclimation period for Xenia's (I sure hope so as I really like the rhythmic motion of these beautiful coral and the fact that they propogate so well).

TIA

What infamous acclimation period??? Never heard of that.... I did not acclimate my xenia and it is fine????
I would say that if the polyps are full and pumping your fine.....
I would keep it off you main section of Lr because if it starts to grow it will spread through the whole tank... This stuff can be a pest.. It is cool to watch....

I have always read about transport problems with xenia and them not 'taking' to certain tanks (the adage goes... They either grow like weeds or die).

Sounds like your doing ok. I was given 2 by a co-worker for my nano and holy-cow they multiply like crazy. I'll take some pics of how they are splitting and post them tomorrow.

Jim

I had mine for 2 months and then 3 stalks freaked out and died (from the inside out by the looks of them even though they looked like they had their leaves clipped off). When I cut the stalks down they had brown goo inside them. The other stalks are perfectly fine and continue to thrive and spread. This all happened after a nitrate spike in my tank. Not sure when you'll know if they're going to thrive or croak though. Good luck with them. Weed or not I love mine!

My little frag has tripled in size and has started to split. It has fallen off it's rock a few times, and when it gets righted upright starts to pulse all over again. It is amazing to watch.

I put Xenia in my tank and looked great for about two weeks. Then the melting started. All died except for 1 stalk. One month later it is still doing good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom