Purple stuff growing on coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone I have a problem with one of my corals. This is the only coral in the tank that I don't know its id.

It was doing fine and when it comes out it has loads of green and waves in the current like anthelia.

However in the last week it has closed up and and purple has started to grow on it. I tried to scrape the purple of but it just scraped the purple and the coral of just leaving the rock. It has continued to grow over the coral slowly. Please help I have no idea what to do.

This is what it looks like now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415522027.874876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

can you brush the red stuff off? If so it is probable cyanobacteria, it usually does grow on healthy corals, more about your tank and parameters would be helpful

It does brush of but then the coral also gets brushed of. My tank is almost 1 year old it is 55litre and has a bicolour blenny and clean up crew with loads of corals.
My tanks params are:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-8
Alkalinity-10
Temp-78 degrees fahren/ 26 degrees Celsius
Salinity- 35 ppt

Was away for a weekend and got a friend to feed my blenny so think he might have over fed him. As I am currently having an algae bloom. But never have I had algae on any of my corals.

What should I do to get it of as brushing it just kills the coral.

Looks like the corals already dead tbh. Some large wc's should get your params back in check and help keep the cyano at bay.

Ok thanks for all the replies.

This look like a dead coral with redslime (cyanos) growing on it...

Make sure coral is dead and get rid of it. Params seems to be ok.

What about calcium, magnesium ?

I don't have calcium and magnesium test kits. So I am unable to test those params. I will go down to lfs at weekend to find out. All other corals are ok except that one.

Back
Top Bottom