PVC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to build my PVC overflow. Today I am going out to HD and getting the stuff I need. My ? is what kind of cement do I use for white PVC pipes? Do I need a primer and then the cement? Is it safe for fish?

basic PVC cement will be fine. read the label and be sure its "safe for drinking water" ask a HD plumber if you have any doubt. I think mine had a purple label.

Also, just a suggestion, but I did this to make 100% sure.

If you have the means (an extra pump and place to hold some water), run water through it for 12 - 24 hours.

I just wanted to make sure that anything in the pipe's or excreted by the glue was washed out before getting anywhere near my tank with it.

It's also a PAIN to prime the thing. I ended up drilling a small hole in the top of the 45 deg elbow, and attaching a valve to it, to assist with evacuating the air.

(also, you MAY want to go lower with the back part than I did with mine, or use 3/4 - 1" ID pipe.. The flow rate is kinda low.. I'd guess about 40 - 50 GPH)

just fyi.

Hm ... 40-50 ghp in a 1/2" setup ... That's ball park of my estimation in the "other" PVC overflow thread .... That's too bad. I was hoping that I was wrong. I guess I'll have to look at some other system of overflow. :(

Back
Top Bottom