PWC During fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling a new 20 gal tank (fishless), I started this process on Feb. 4th. Paramaters are Amm 2.0, Nitrite 2.0 and Nitrate 5.0, PH 7.6 and temp is 80 F. It has LED lighting and is planted with a java fern and a banana plant. I haven't added any ammonia in days because my levels are over 2.0, but my question is should I still be doing PWC while I am doing a fishless cycle?

I don't believe its nessasary to do PWC without fish. Just try and keep your ammonia at or below 2ppm. I don't know whan the ammoinia gets toxic to the bacteria. So to answer your question I would do as many PWC you need to keep your ammonia at a good level, just remember to use a water conditioner.

I haven't been using a water conditioner at all. Didn't think it was necessary since I am on well water and all conditions are zero out of the tap and my ph is about 7.4 - 7.6.

As long as there is no chlorine you should be fine. By your readings it sounds like your tank is doing well with what your already doing.

Thanks Tracey! I was hoping I was finally doing something right. I know I can't rush the cycle, but I really can't wait to add fish! My cats keep staring at the tank waiting for something to move in there. :)

No need to do a PWC during the cycle unless your ammonia/nitrite stalls for a substantial amount of time. Just be patient. Good luck!

No need to do a PWC during the cycle unless your ammonia/nitrite stalls for a substantial amount of time. Just be patient. Good luck!

What do you mean by stall? The levels wont change or zero ammonia and nitrites? Im doing a fishless cycle as well.

Let's say your ammonia is 4ppm initially. After 5 weeks you still have that same level, with no nitrites showing. That's when I'd do a water change, or plop in some hefty seed material from an established tank.

Marconis what exactly is a 'substantial' amount of time? Weeks?

Well, my last cycle didn't do anything for three weeks if I recall. Folks on here urged me to wait it out a little, and the next day my ammonia started to drop. In my opinion, if nothing happens after a month, it's time to fix something.

Really, the only time you need to do a Pwc during the cycle is when the ammonia or nitrite is really high (The higher concentrated levels kill some of the good bacteria.) or when your cycle is stalled (like said by Nick).

Back
Top Bottom