PWC methods ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdawg75

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok ive got a gravel Vac for my 55 gal FW African Cichlid tank. My tank is on a stand and too high to dump a 5,10 or more gallon container of treated tap water into my tank. So is a pitcher and pouring in water the way to go or how do you all do this type of thing????

I mix my water in an 18g bin (storage bin from walmart) and then use a 1 gallon pitcher to bring it into my 55g tank. Since you're doing fresh, you won't do the mixing, but the same thing would still apply.

Fill up the tub, pitcher it in after doing your gravel vac.

It's really not so bad.

I use a python for cleaning, but I used to do buckets.

Back then I used a clean bowl placed on on the gravel then slowly poured in the water using a plastic pitcher. The buckets were way to heavy to lift.

I would suggest looking into getting a python system or something like it if you have a sink within the hose distance.

I mix my water in an 18g bin (storage bin from walmart) and then use a 1 gallon pitcher to bring it into my 55g tank. Since you're doing fresh, you won't do the mixing, but the same thing would still apply.

Fill up the tub, pitcher it in after doing your gravel vac.

It's really not so bad.

search on google.com python. it could help. its similar to gravel vac

search on google.com python. it could help. its similar to gravel vac

I have one. It doesn't fit my sink so doing the bin method until I can get an adapter.

Even if it did fit though, I'd still have to pitcher the water in the tank because I have to mix salt in it first and let it sit for a day.

Yeah, I have one of those. Except it has male threads at the top and no threads at the bottom.

I'll have to take my parts out to lowes and screw adapters on them until I find one to do the job.

THank you all for your responses.

How do you get the Chlorine and tap water evil stuff out utilizing the "Python" ?

i used to hold the hose and let it drain in to the sink as I adjusted the temp, then hooked it up and filled. Now I can just tell what the temp is by touch.

Thank you again. Wont a large water change hurt the Fish if the temp is room temp? I know newbie questions but thank you all for answering.

That's another reason why I like using the bin to hold water before a PWC. I put a heater and powerhead in it to get it to my tank temp and thorougly mix the salt. Not to mention I can put prime in there before I add it to the tank.

Thank you again. Wont a large water change hurt the Fish if the temp is room temp? I know newbie questions but thank you all for answering.
if the room temp and tank temp aren't within a degree or two of each other, you have a good possibility of killing your fish. Some people purposely drop the temp 2-3 degrees to entice spawning, but you really want the water going in to be the same temp as the water the fish are in.

allright Thanks, I think im armed with knowledge and the new want to get a python :) I always read up on here then go to do it and have 14 more questions.

Back
Top Bottom