Pygmy puffer with 2 gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PWattwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I was at the fish shop on Saturday and I just fell in love with a Pygmy puffer.
I have 2 dwarf pearl gouramis in a 25 litre tank (will move gouramis when to big) the lady said they would all be fine together but I'm just not sure and I dont want to risk it if there's a chance that either fishes will get hurt!
Any advice?

Thank you!

PWattwood said:
Hi everyone,

I was at the fish shop on Saturday and I just fell in love with a Pygmy puffer.
I have 2 dwarf pearl gouramis in a 25 litre tank (will move gouramis when to big) the lady said they would all be fine together but I'm just not sure and I dont want to risk it if there's a chance that either fishes will get hurt!
Any advice?

Thank you!

Well, I would move the Gouramis now. To a 30-40 gallon tank. Then use that tank for the Pygmy puffers. I don't think they'll do fine together as the Gouramis have barbels and feelers and the puffer will ruin it.

I wouldn't. Puffers are very aggressive and usually kept in a species only tank.

The great thing about Dwarf Puffers is that their small size allows them to be kept in smaller fish tanks. You can have all the fun of owning puffers without having to setup the larger tanks that most other puffer species require. The majority of dwarf owners keep theirs in small setups of 5 to 20 gallons (19L to 75L).

Even though they are small in size, dwarves need roughly 5 gallons per fish to have adequate space. They will become aggressive to one another if cramped too tightly together. They also become more aggressive as they age, particularly with sexual maturity. Make sure to keep this in mind when choosing your tank size as well as stocking it.

Dwarf Puffers : Home

Back
Top Bottom