Python No Spill Clean and Fill Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are awesome as long as you have lots of water pressure from your sink. They are way worth it. They work!!!

this one should be ok as long as it isn't the the one that replaces the water as you vac the gravel

I love the Python system! Makes water changes soo much easier.
Do they hook up to just a regular sink or do I need any extra parts??

No extra parts required, hooks to regular sink faucet.

there awesome, however the hookups which are made of plastic may break down after a while, like my adaptor to the sink got all its threads shreaded up but home depot had a metal one-piece one which works much better. I believe some LFS sell metal parts for the python made by python so thoose might work even better

Also, if you are concerned about water usage while draining, if your tank is above the level of your sink you can just turn off the water and the syphon will maintain itself. You can get the syphon started on the faucet with water running, then once your syphon starts unhook it from the sink and lay the end in the tub, or for that matter out the door into your flower garden. You can collect your drained water this way as well, by putting the faucet end into a bucket.

Another tip: get rid of the white plastic adapter for the faucet that it comes with, and get the brass one that is usually sold as an accessory to the Python (also can be found at a hardware store). The plastic one almost always gets stuck on your faucet, then the threads get stripped and it is a pain. Save yourself that trouble! I could not maintain my tanks as efficiently as I do without the Python. :D

I agree with everyone's praise about the python. I use it weekly. Without it, I not sure if I would even keep fish...

Whoa. I had not seen these things before. I guess I need to pick one up!!!

How does one switch from gravel vacuuming and extracting water to adding water? Is it easy? I assume it doesn't extract and add at the same time, thereby leaving you with no way to know what percentage of the water has been changed.

Love to hear a few more details on this thing if someone has a sec.

Ordered one today from PetSmart.com. Can't wait to try it out. I hate holding that big pot up to the shower head while I refill the darn tank.

Quick question....at what point do you add water treatment chemicals? I don't have the need for a python now (using bottled water for w/c on sml tank) but eventually look to have a 55gal tank and like the ease of the python.

LURVE my Python.

Erm...you know what I mean LOL it has been a major back saver, especially since we got the 55g.

I add the dechlor as soon as I start adding the water. It works instantly. The fish don't seem to mind.

So you add it directly to the tank....ok, got it. Thanks Alli.

Sounds like the python is a time saver and helps prevent a wet mess!!!

I don't have a Python, but something extremely similiar to it. I think it's made by "Lee". One question for users' of python....when you add water, how do you also treat it to remove the chlorine? I've been draining my tank that way and then when I fill it, I take the 2 gallon bucket, fill it with water, add the chemicals to remove chlorine and other chems, and then dump it in the tank. It's a pain and I woudl rather use the python to do it, but at the same time, I don't want to hurt/poisen my fish.

Great article, Rigger! Back in the day when I had a waterbed I always had one of those valves around, and it is the same valve the Python people use, so you know what the markup must be.

I do the traditional suck the water out while vacuuming the gravel with the Python siphon. Just a clear vinyl tube, larger on one end then the other.
and then replace water (treating as well) by filling up 5 gallon buckets and hauling back to the tank. Then i use the python to siphon the water from the bucket back to the tank.
I really like the DYI Rigger!! I think I just might have to try that.
But my question is when to treat the water???
Do you fill the tank with tap water, while the fish are in it and then treat the water after you added it to the tank?
I saw the question asked a couple of times before, but no one answered it.

I stand there while the water is filling into the tank and very slowly add the water conditioner, taking care not to add too much. I don't know about other water systems, but there is not enough chlorine in mine to instantly kill any fish, especially diluted with the existing tank water. The fish swim in the current and suffer not at all. You can add the amount of dechlor to a cup of tank water, and slowly add that as you fill. I was reluctant to do this myself, but now that I do it this way, I will never go back. Now I can change 20 gallons in about 10 minutes, DONE! No spills, no buckets, no backaches. On to the next tank...

Wow!!! Sounds GREAT!!!
With all that lugging the buckets around now out of the picture.... maybe a bigger tank is what I need ... ha, ha
I have a 20 gallon and a 50 gallon and buckets is what I do. I don't mind too much, but that is a lot of trips to the sink.
I think I will try the DIY project and save some bucks. I can't wait!!!

Back
Top Bottom