Python Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've never used a python, but I'm helping my sister set up a 55g tank that will be within about 5 ft of her kitchen sink. Can you use these w/o an RO unit? If so, how do you dechlorinate the water before it gets not the tank?

The python connects directly to your sink and with turn of a valve, will either siphon the tank or fill it. When filling a fresh water tank, you would add a dechlorinator like Prime BEFORE you add temperature-matched tap water.

Yes, that's exactly what you do. A few things to keep in mind, this is for fresh water only, if you are filling a brackish tank, you MUST make the water and adjust salinity prior to adding to the tank. Also its important that the temperature of the new water match the tank so you dont shock the fish.

AS I use pyton water changer, I add prime like product after I replaced 50% of them water. I know it's bad for fish gills, but I'm doing this since 1 year and never had any issues about that.

I add Nutrafin Aqua+ in same time I add the new water, then put a little final dose when I finished.

You can't plug it in RODI unit, anyway, you don't want to add RODI only water, that will create a PH drop and may kill fishs, you need to buffer it (mineralize) with a product like Seachem Equilibrum.

Thanks for the tips. I use RO for my tanks, but she doesn't want to do anything fancy. Using a python will make her life much easier!

Thanks for the tips. I use RO for my tanks, but she doesn't want to do anything fancy. Using a python will make her life much easier!

Don't use RO only water, it will make PH flukes. Remineralize the RO water with Seachem Equilibrum like product, or at least, add a bit baking soda to the new water, it will raise KH (buffer).

Tap water that doesn't contains ammonia of where the PH is not too high don't require to be RODI before put it in the tank.

Just note that there's no chlorine in RO water.

Back
Top Bottom