Python questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I read a few post with "BUY A PYTHON" sort of tone so I Googled it and I like how it looks and especially compared to luging around a bucket full of water. My question is, since you put tap water directly to tank and then put the dechlorinator, would this harm the fish at all even just for that little bit of time? My other question is, would it fit any faucet? Oh and I saw an Aqueon one that looks like a Python, is this good too? Or other replica that are a little cheaper? I'm not worried about the cost but a few dollar savings won't hurt my pockets either. Thanks in advance for the answers!

I have the 50' Python and it doesn't seem to affect my fish filling the tank strait from the tap so long as you make sure the temp is similar to your tank water before turning the knob to start the flow to your tank. It should fit your tap, if I remember correctly it comes with different size attachments for different taps. you will have to remove the tap cap before you screw the python onto it. As for imitation Pythons I cannot speak but like anything you get what you pay for.

I had a python no spill(dunno if they are the same) it was a great piece of kit especially when you have to do a lot of tanks. Pain in winter though as the water came from the outside tap and it was just a few degrees so it was trickled in.

Dechlorinator first, then fill the tank.

I've got a 50ft Lee's Aquatics version of the python. I got it free as a door prize and I'd replace it in an instant if it broke. It's the best tool I thought I'd never need. My only complaints are the ball valve leaks a little and the gravel vac tube started coming loose from the hose. I can probably fix both with a screwdriver and a few zip ties.

I honestly don't think I'd have as many tanks as I do if I didn't have the python. It used to take me 30-45 minutes to haul water back and forth from my tanks (29g, 20L, & 5g) to the tub. I usually made a mess with the water too and my wife wouldn't be very happy with me.

The python cut that time to 30 minutes tops and 10 of those minutes were spent trying to get the fine-thread plastic adapter to catch on the worn-out 40-year-old faucet threads.

Now I've got four tanks in the basement and one in the kitchen. I can hook the python to the laundry tub faucet and do PWCs on all five tanks in 30-45 minutes. I'm usually on the high end of that range because I use gravity, not water pressure to siphon the tank. The best part is I get water on the floor from the python. Now all my puddles are from trimming plants, catching fish, and cleaning filters.

I think I'm going to invest in one. I really like the idea of not having to carry buckets full of water around. Thanks for you input guys!

The python is awesome. I just add prime as I'm filling the water back up. I've never had a problem :)

Same here, greatest invention ever. Five tanks done in under an hour. Woohoo

Has anyone in the UK used a python? Do they fit UK taps?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I don't see why they wouldn't !! I'm in Canada and had to rig something up to male it work on my taps, but it's nothing you can't get at the hardware store.

Ok I took the plunge and bought the 50ft one online. I figured its a good investment since I'm planning on getting an additional 55 gal tank next year. I'm excited!

One more question...I always her you guys talk about Prime. I use stress coat, what do you think?

Prime is usually just a little bit more expensive than others like stress coat, but lasts far longer. Most dechlors require 5ml for every 10 gallons... prime uses 5ml for every 50 gallons.

Wow 5ml for 50 gal? That's some powerfully stuff. That would definitely save some money in the long run.

FWIW, I know the OP already bought a 50' python but I got a 25' Aqueon from Petsmart (had a giftcard I had to use) and I love it. I have an older python that cracked on the faucet end and had to be replaced. I actually like the Aqueon one better, but I'm not sure why to be honest. It just 'feels' like it is made better than the pythons.

Yet another with the Aqueon. Love it!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom