QT Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can do another water change later on today. Make sure the surface water is aggitated so the nutrient is mixed in. If the nutrient is left at the surface, the water changes will be less effective since you are syphoning water from lower in the tank and leaving the "slick" untouched.

Have you inspected the tank to be sure all detritus and foods have been removed? Rinsed the filter media to remove any trapped wastes?

Without the bacteria, the levels will remain high(er) and water changes are a must. All you can do is help keep them lower. The tank will not really be able to fend for itself like with the main tank.

Cheers
Steve

Are my fish in alot of danger with the levels that I have mentioned? I have been able to maintain a lower level until today. The nitrite went up one color code.

Sorry last question for at least an hour..promise.

It's not a healthy environment to be sure but unless the fish are a deaths door, they should be able to weather slight levels of ammonia and nitrite. You should stilll do your best to ensure the levels are as low as possible though.

You may actually have some bacterial help as well. 1.0 NH3 yesterday and 0.5 today. That coupled with the higher nitrite reading could imply some bacteria are gaining in number. I would not rely on it but it is something positive :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Ok my Yellow Tang has not eaten for about 5 days. And today one of her fins have a place that looks torn. What does this mean? How can I help her?

Thanks.

The torn fin could be a result of the water quality or aggression. It is a small QT. The lack of appetite could easily be from the copper. It does tend to stem the fish's feeding response, sometimes quite severly.

Whatever foods you are feeding, try soaking first in a drop or two of garlic extract. You might also try some types of meaty foods just be sure it is soaked in selcon or the like first to give it some needed nutrient. What they eat is not as important when they are not eating at all. Once the tang regains it's appetite, you can then try better foods.

Cheers
Steve

I have tried homeade, pellets, marine flake, the other flake(veggies), nori, frozen brine. Nothing stimulates her to eat. Her color looks good, and no other signs of distress. I am afraid it's heading toward fin rot, or hlle. Thanks for walking me step, by step through this.

Blessings. :wink:

Well this morning I found my yellow tang dead on the bottom of the tank. :( Her color was fine, not really any sign of distress except the fact that she would not eat. She was the one I suspected of bringing ich into the tank to begin with, although she showed no signs. Is this possible?
She came from a lfs that I would not buy from, because the fish always look sick. She was purchased by my brother in law for our tank. Although good hearted, that want happen again. All my other fish come from the same lfs.

Am I in any kind of trouble because of her death in the tank? She died somewhere between 1:30am and 8am last night.

Thanks for the help. I hope my other fish will make it. They are all eating fine. We'll see. :|

Aw rev, sorry to hear it. You worked so hard. :(
If you did a water change after you found her you should be alright. It really depends on how long she was in there.
If there is a silver lining, your bioload will be much lighter. Gives you a better chance with the rest of your fish.

Hey Qshark thanks for the consilation. Yes it stinks to loose one of your little buddys, but I have so much to be thankful for. Let me elaborate a little. This morning after I posted the post about my tang dying, I was riding in to the church when I recieved a phone call that one of our members was in a serious car accident, and probably will not make it. Not only was it a member of the church, but it was a close friend, my best friends dad, and my sisters Father in Law. His name is Steve. We stayed at the hospital all day. The doctors dont give him much hope. He has a shifted and swelling brain, collapsed lungs, broken bach as well as many other bones. He is still kickin tonight. You know although the doctors dont give him much hope, I serve a God that IS HOPE! I know that God is going to bring Steve through this ordeal, and show that he still answers prayers. Please be in prayer for Steve and his family.

Thanks for listening to my mini sermon, and the prayers that I know you will say. :wink:

Kind of puts things in perspective.
My thought and prayers are with you and your friend.

If I swore, I would sware that you people are awesome. :wink:

He is progressing good, and I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the offer for the 10g tank Gerald. And thank you both for the prayers. Please keep praying for him and his family, they need people like you that will pray for them.

I'll also keep you updated on the qt tank, things seem to be doing fine right now.

Blessings My Friends.... :wink:

Your only a little way down the road from me, if you want the tank we can even meet halfway or something.

Well were about 2 weeks into the qt process....for future reference is there any other way to treat ich in the main tank with inverts, and lr?

This is tough. Is there anyway? :wink:

Glad things are going good. No I don't think there is any other way to treat for ick. With fw you can raise the temp to 86, that kills it off. but sw is different.

revhtree said:
Well were about 2 weeks into the qt process....for future reference is there any other way to treat ich in the main tank with inverts, and lr?

This is tough. Is there anyway? :wink:

Once you get it out of yout main and you will with at least a 4 week falllow period (your gonna hate this, but I would go 6 weeks) you should never have to worry about it again. As long as you qt new arrivals for at least 3 weeks. :wink: 8O

Your gonna love this. I cleaned out my qt and started all over again. In an earlier post if you remember I didnt know that the filter I had, had carbon in the middle of it. Well, to make sure I get the ich, I cleaned out my ot tank, and started the qt process all over again, there was basically no copper in the tank. You make think I am crazy....I am! I'm going 5 weeks..Thanks!

PS. I was 2 weeks 2 days into the qt process.

Ok latest copper test is at .23. What do you think?

Also someone mentioned 4 drops of cupramine per gallon. My dropper does not equal that. What should I do?

Thanks. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom