QT Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which test kit? If using seachems multitest (which you should for this copper) treatment level should be at .5.
The instruction from my bottle of cupramine state.
2 drops per gallon for 48 hours. 2 addition drops per gallon there after for a total dose of .5 ppm.
To maintain this, one should dose and test the change water and test the qt tank every day.
Good luck :wink:

I havent got that test yet. The only thing I could get a hold of down here was a fasttest copper kit. It says in the box that it is new, and that it was for ionic copper. Thw Cupramine says on the bottle that it is ionic copper. Am I ok?

The directions on my cupramine bottle say to dose 1ml for every 10.5 gallons of water the first day, wait 48 hours then repeat for a total dose of .5mg. Leave at this concentration for 14 days. What do you think?

The fast test has these dose levels. .05 .10 .15 .20 .25 My water was between .20 and .25.

Thanks. :wink:

The dosage sounds Ok, but I wouldn't trust the test kit. I tried several before getting seachems, none of the others worked well.

One of the most important things while using any treatment is ensuring the proper dosage for the correct term of the treatment. Too little and the problem returns, too much and no more fish 8O

I would urge you as quarryshark has to get the proper Seahem copper kit .

Cheers
Steve

Ok...A few more ???'s.

In my qt, I am getting a brown buildup on the tank bottom and on the sides. What is it? :wink:

Probably algea maybe diatoms. If your done with the meds, they can form. No big deal really, just keep with the water changes and clean the filter from time to time.

Well this is the 14th day. If you remember, I found out that my little filter had carbon in it, so I started all over 2 weeks ago today. I wanted to make sure that they had the right amount of hospital time. :wink:

The med bottle says to treat for 14 days. Should I stop treating the water after today? Or is it ok to keep treating for a little while longer?

Well the Idol was the only one with signs, and he has not had signs in about 3 days.

His signs were just a few spots that have all gone away. When I first put him in, he was getting to the point of rubbing, and his dorsal fins were covered in white spots. He has no more. :wink:

3 days, I would run for another week. Unless someone quits eating or looking sluggish.
Advisors??

Agreed with Quarry. You can leave the med in for another week as long as the fish remains healthy. Just be sure once treatment is done and you remove the med, the fish stay in the QT for an additional week or two to be sure there are no re-occurances.

Cheers
Steve

Just an update. Today is the 4th week in QT! 2 more weeks and woo hoo, back in the main tank. Every thing seems to be going good, except for high Nitrite levels in the qt. Oh well! :wink:

Now that my qt is empty, I need to get the levels acceptable so I can add another new fish to it. I am going to add a royal gramma next. The levels are this right now. Ammonia .25 Nitrite 5.0 Nitrate 10.
What do these levels tell me?
Is my tank starting to end it's cycle or what?
How can I get it ready for the new fish?
Should I add one of the bio-wheels from my emporor 400 to it?
It is a 20g qt. TIA.

Having any ammonia or nitrite will mean it's cycling. Since you have just used a copper treatment I would actually suggest you empty it, clean it with a mild bleach solution (10:1) and rinse thoroughly. Let it air dry a few days, re-fill the QT and seed it with something from the main tank.

Not all new fish need to be treated so having the time to properly cycle the QT first will go along way to keeping the fish healthy during it's alone time. I know it will seem pointless if you end up treating depending on what it is but it all helps.

Cheers
Steve

I would not get another fish until the Nitrite levels drop. But it does look like you are nearing the end of your cycle. The nitrites should start to drop in the next day or 2. then you can do a partial water change and you will be ready to go. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom