QT tank set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utahcutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Getting ready to set up a new QT tank. (getting a pair of ocellaris clowns.)
I'm going to use my old 20 that i just rid of freshwater fish. Wondering if the Whisper filter will work all right for the QT process? I don't anticipate that it should be a problem for a few short weeks, but then again I don't know everything. Also read in the articles forum a recommendation not to use a substrate. Just curious as to why this is benificiary? Thanks in advance.

The whipser will do fine but I would run it on the main tank for awhile with some media in it to help colonize some sort of bacteria before getting the clowns.

Not having substrate is good for several reasons. It makes the tank easiler to keep clean, reduces the chance of trapped detritus and foods keeping water quality higher. It will also absorb meds rendering them less effective which is the main reason. Especially in the use of copper. Anything in the tank that is CaCO3 based will absorb copper like a sponge making it very difficult to maintain the levels at a proper range.

Cheers
Steve

Also get some plastic plant for making it better environment.

Qtank not only for new fish but also sick fish therefore everything in it must easily been clean/nuke after been use.

I plan on just using the decorations that I had with my FW set up. Yeah, they get the cool castle! Another question about not using substrate, what if you are QT'ing something like a goby that feeds of the sand bed. I'll probably head down to the LFS tomorrow to pick out the new guys. See if they'll hold them for me for a bit to make sure they are eating, and then bring them home. Yay!!

utahcutter said:
Another question about not using substrate, what if you are QT'ing something like a goby that feeds of the sand bed.
I would honestly say leave it be. Sand sifting gobies rarely live long even in an established tank with plenty of sand critters. They are much like dragonets when it comes to captive survivability. They start out great but the natural food supply rarely if ever lasts and they soon starve. Seeing them eat does not mean they will do well in the aquarium.

That said though it really depends on the goby, so might be an idea to post the species.

Cheers
Steve

well thanks for the info guys. I was just curious about the goby situation. I won't be adding one since I've already got one that eats anything i throw in the tank. he's great. how long do they usually live in captivity. this guy was full size when i bought him. they had been moving him from tank to tank at the lfs, even had him in with the sharks for a while. he's very curious and a blast to have in the tank. anyway, thanks again for the info. all psyched to get started now!

Back
Top Bottom