QT tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stix_oz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so i'm very new at this but i'm liking the idea of a QT tank. I got my first aquarium 3 weeks ago and after 5 days had 2 2ft tanks and 1 4ft tank. The 4ft tank is almost cycled and ready for fish in another week or 2.

What size tank do i need for a quarantine tank and how long do i need to keep fish in quarantine?

Most of my fish atm are betwwen 1 and 2 inches and none grow over 4 inches. Would a 1ft tank be enough or should i get a 2 ft tank? How long should i keep fish in quarantine for?

Cheers

Stix

I don't think they have to be very large. 5g tanks are recommended by some. I have a 7 gallon sterlite plastic container that acts as my QT tank.

"What size tank do i need for a quarantine tank?"

Usually a 10g tank. Large enough to maintain stable water qualities.
5g is ok but maybe too small for some species.

how long should i leave bought fish in QT for?

Leave the fish in QT for longer than the usual life cycle of the common parasites. 3 weeks is enough time for ICH, velvet and most of the other common diseases to appear. New water is a good way for them to start...(simulates a spring flood)

I use a 10 and can't imagine using anything smaller.. the shortest I have ever utilized my QT was 2 weeks and I only pulled out one fish early because the other in attendance were nipping his fins real bad (company i ordered from had to ship them all at the same time even though I was planning to get the male a month later...) I always try to go at least a month

Back
Top Bottom