Quanity for a 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering what a safe number of smaller tetras for a 125 gallon tank would be I only have 7 right now 3 bleeding hearts and 4 red eyes. I will post pics if that would help.

Wow I didn't know I could put a hundred fish in my tank haha, that would look cool, thanks for the replies

The usual rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon. That defers from fish to fish for example goldfish need 2" per gallon because they are dirty buggers. So with your 125 you can have 125 inches of fish. But remember, fish grow up! So when you buy that little guy at the pet store research how big he will grow so you dont overstock your tank.

Thanks for the tip but the tetras I want are all around an inch or so, so I'll probably just get enough to make the tank look populated then save the rest of the space for random other fish I decide I want

Firstly you should fill up your current schools. Have at least 6 of each. Then you can get new schools in. But not all at once. Fill it up slowly. About 2 schools a month. Unless the tank has been cycled. Then you can add some more.

The usual rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon.

This is actually not a valid rule..... just an old wive's tale. Best to take compatibility, bioload, environmental requirements, and the like into consideration when stocking a tank.

If I had a large tank like that, I would boost my schools to at least a dozen each of the schooling species. That would really make those schools POP!

This is actually not a valid rule..... just an old wive's tale. Best to take compatibility, bioload, environmental requirements, and the like into consideration when stocking a tank.

If I had a large tank like that, I would boost my schools to at least a dozen each of the schooling species. That would really make those schools POP!

+1... I know I'd have a good dozen rummynose tetras in there!!

What kind of filtration do you have on that tank?

LyndaB said:

This is an easy way new hobbyists to determine bioload so you dont overstock. Very crude, yes, but helps when your learning about the science behind the hobby.
And i dont think he'll have any problems with compatibility seeing as hows its just tetras he is getting.

It still doesn't fly with me. You can take fish of the same size and they will have a different bioload depending on the species, so I'm mystified as to why it would teach a newbie how to consider bioload.

Why remember a rule that you'll just have to forget? Doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion.

From my experience, not all tetras are created equal. My rummynose are very shy but my red eyes were very aggressive.

It still doesn't fly with me. You can take fish of the same size and they will have a different bioload depending on the species, so I'm mystified as to why it would teach a newbie how to consider bioload.

Where would somebody learn the proper stocking of a tank then?

I would advise that they research the invidual species and talk to people who have kept/are keeping those species. That will give them all of the answers that they need really.

Where would somebody learn the proper stocking of a tank then?

+1 with LyndaB

We have the tools at our fingertips to properly research stocking. When in doubt ... come here first.

On the surface the 1 inch per rule sounds fine for a novice to follow, if an experienced aquarist is there to help guide along. Unfortunately, if one were to follow that rule literally ... which is inevitable for some ... then you're bound to see a 10 inch oscar in a 10gallon tanks. Anyone care to take any wagers on how well that'll turn out?

Back
Top Bottom