Quarantine... Is it really essential?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is quarantine really all that essential? I don't quarantine mainly because I don't have the space or money for another tank, filter, and heater and I don't want to keep an empty tank constantly running wasting water and electricity. I've had my fish I bought from my lfs in my tank for 2.5 months and they are doing great and eating well and they were added to a tank that already had 2 platys from PetSmart living in it for a year. I only buy from my local lfs, NOT PetSmart (except that one time when I bought the platys), Petco, and DEFINITELY NOT Walmart. I keep up with my weekly 50% or larger water changes and I test my water every few days after a water change and my parameters are always good. I feed really good food, not the cheap fish meal foods. As long as I keep my tank and water pristine, feed really good food, and buy my fish from the same place every time-my lfs, then is there really a need for me to quarantine?

It never is until it was. Having said that a really good local store should be lower risk. Also I never buy here at the peak of summer when I seem to get more bacterial infections risk.

I will never not quarantine again.

You don't leave the tank running when no one is in it, and you can get everything you need for it for less than $50 even if you get it all new.

I never used to but then my guppies gave my favourite fish(kevin my betta) fin rot and he almost died

Ive never owner a dedicated qt tank. But Im not the norm. I think there is value in them for most people.

Ann...

Good question. I've never isolated new fish in a separate tank. There are some steps I take when selecting new fish and my tanks are always cleaned regularly, with large frequent water changes. The chances of a healthy fish raised in good water conditions getting sick from some type of parasite or virus are very remote.

B

I suppose it depends on where you get your fish. My last order was online to a local distributor. No chance to see the fish ahead of time and the conditions they were in. Distributor only had them 2-3 days tops.
I treat them all the same, whether store bought or online. QT and observation for 2 weeks because I would rather not treat the display tank. 2 weeks may be not enough time according to some sources.

To be honest, I don't always quarantine new arrivals, especially if they come from a reputable source like a favorite LFS, or another hobbyist whose maintenance practices and tanks I'm familiar with. Thus far, I've probably been incredibly lucky.
I do quarantine, however, if I get fish shipped in, or they come from an unfamiliar source. As nirbhao said; quarantine tanks don't need to break the bank, nor remain set up when not in use. When my quarantine tank was in use, I've even resorted to using a rubbermaid tote with a filter and heater, with no adverse effects.

I don't QT, but I also know I'm taking a big risk adding new fish. I have a couple of local stores I trust and, even then, I observe the new specimens closely before buying them.

Even if I don't have quarantine setup would it still be bad to add new fish to my tank and dose the tank with API General Cure or Seachem ParaGuard just in case without hurting my other fish?

I must confess I have a planted tank but I've never been a fan of this approach. For me the risk would be to other fish, plants and bacteria plus it may not treat what the new fish has (if they have anything).

Yes quarantine is necessary I've had an entire tank get wiped out from one sick fish

Back
Top Bottom