Quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard that bacteria dies after a while if not fed, so how does a quarantine tank work? Do you keep a fish in there? Or set it up every time you want to get a fish etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freshwater> general discussion> who uses quarantine
I'm sorry I can't link, I'm using mobile AA
There are 43 responses.
The answer to your question is as varied as the number of responses you get. If medicating, remove carbon from any filter.

People do QT all different ways from barren clear container to full alternate smaller tank.

For me, it would depend on sickness vs new fish. Type of sickness or potential health level of new fish. My holding tanks are fully stocked with cycled filters, rocks, plants, gravel... However, after those fish go to main tank. I'll be stripping one of them except to keep filter cycled with ammonia. After reading the other thread, I think the person posting that he used completely bare tanks to ensure he could observe the fish at all times and from all views made the most sense. Over time, since holding seems best for 6 weeks, I would probably add a small hiding place that could be cloroxed later.

freshwater> general discussion> who uses quarantine
I'm sorry I can't link, I'm using mobile AA
There are 43 responses.
The answer to your question is as varied as the number of responses you get. If medicating, remove carbon from any filter.

People do QT all different ways from barren clear container to full alternate smaller tank.

For me, it would depend on sickness vs new fish. Type of sickness or potential health level of new fish. My holding tanks are fully stocked with cycled filters, rocks, plants, gravel... However, after those fish go to main tank. I'll be stripping one of them except to keep filter cycled with ammonia. After reading the other thread, I think the person posting that he used completely bare tanks to ensure he could observe the fish at all times and from all views made the most sense. Over time, since holding seems best for 6 weeks, I would probably add a small hiding place that could be cloroxed later.

This has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

I asked if I should keep a fish in there to keep bacteria alive, also I asked if it was true that bacteria does die off after so long?
Or do you set it up every time?

Most of the answer she gave me is on how people do qt tanks, it states that the tank is cycled, but if he's stripping one, how is he going to keep ammonia in the tank?
And then gave advice to keep it bare bottom which had nothing to do with my question, and a hiding place does not come into question at all

I asked if I should keep a fish in there to keep bacteria alive, also I asked if it was true that bacteria does die off after so long?
Or do you set it up every time?

Most of the answer she gave me is on how people do qt tanks, it states that the tank is cycled, but if he's stripping one, how is he going to keep ammonia in the tank?
And then gave advice to keep it bare bottom which had nothing to do with my question, and a hiding place does not come into question at all

"Keep filter cycled with ammonia" would indicate that you leave the tank empty and going with NO fish in it. That you do NOT break it down and set it up anytime. Bare bottom has everything to do with your question as "how it works" since a proper QT has now substrate so you can monitor EVERYTHING about the fish, down to its detritus.

Sorry but it didn't. She gave me her plans, but no explaination. And setting up a tank every time I get a fish, is a hassle and I don't expect everyone to do that, now if someone could put in their opinion of if they keep a fish in there and/or get rid of it when they buy a new fish, and I know how a quar works. It was more of how to keep it alive, if you have to.
She also states she only stripping one. How many does she have?
She doesn't state what she uses to keep it alive, what type of fish? She gave information that is so basic it's useless

First off, you need to go back and re-read all of the posts. She outlined it in post 5 and then I highlighted it again for you. If the info she gave is "so basic it's useless" you have no clue about reading comprehension. It couldn't be laid out any clearer. As well, she also said that she's on a mobile device and couldn't supply the link correctly but spelled out how to get to it. It's pretty clearly outlined in post 7, you don't keep fish in it all the time. YOU KEEP IT ALIVE BY FEEDING AMMONIA

First off, you need to go back and re-read all of the posts. She outlined it in post 5 and then I highlighted it again for you. If the info she gave is "so basic it's useless" you have no clue about reading comprehension. It couldn't be laid out any clearer. As well, she also said that she's on a mobile device and couldn't supply the link correctly but spelled out how to get to it. It's pretty clearly outlined in post 7, you don't keep fish in it all the time. YOU KEEP IT ALIVE BY FEEDING AMMONIA

Edit : Who cares how many she has. That wasn't what you originally asked.

Yes the benificial bacteria will die off if they don't have a food source.
You could keep a fish in there but you need somewhere it could go when you need the QT.
What most people do, including me, is to jam the filter pad of your QT filter into a filter in the main tank or just have an extra filter on the main tank that can be switched to the QT. Instant cycle.

Both of these other people were trying to help and doing a pretty good job of it, don't be so rude.

Back
Top Bottom