Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is a 10 gallon tank big enough for a quarantine? I was thinking about getting one from Petco when they have their $1 per gal sale. I would put a heater, thermo, and a small HOB filter. Should I have a small light too if it is just for fish?

Is a 10 gallon tank big enough for a quarantine? I was thinking about getting one from Petco when they have their $1 per gal sale. I would put a heater, thermo, and a small HOB filter. Should I have a small light too if it is just for fish?

Depends on what you'll be quarantining, but for the most part, 10G is fine for 'normal' fish.

The only compulsory things you need are the heater and filter.
You could even go with a sponge filter as to not have to change out filter pads every other week on a HoB.

A light definitely isn't necessary, that would just be for your benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is that a Yellow Lab I see on your profile picture or a Gourami of some sort?

If your keeping either then a 10G is more than adequate.

A 10 is plenty for those keeping small fish. As your tank size increases so should your quarantine tank. I keep a 29 for my big tanks.

I disagree about light not being necessary. It's extremely important for you to be able to see the fish clearly.

Is that a Yellow Lab I see on your profile picture or a Gourami of some sort?

If your keeping either then a 10G is more than adequate.

It was my yellow lab. I gave him away to open up my 29 gallon which is what I want the quarantine for.

Would I be better off just buying a 10gal kit?

No substrate is fine right? I have my old gravel from the 29 if I need substrate. Clean glass should be better for seeing poop right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, if I build a small stand to keep it off the ground is that also necessary? I might be able to put it on the stand in front of the my TV but not sure.

I have one of mine on the floor next to the tank.

I like to use substrate in my tanks because I think it makes the fish more comfortable.

Just think of setting up a hospital tank, they're basically the same thing.

A small tank, something to keep it warm, something to filter it and you're good to go.

If you've already got a heater or filter laying around then just use them.

If not then a cheap kit might work just fine.

I guess if you only monitor the fish when you are up close to the tank that would be fine. If you want to be able to observe the fish from across the room, get a light :)

I still think a sponge filter would be a better choice.
But it's up to you.

How could I build my own sponge filter??? Never thought about one.

If you don't like the sight or sound of air pumps and bubbles, then a sponge filter is not for you. Otherwise, it's a fine option to explore. It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other really.

How could I build my own sponge filter??? Never thought about one.

There's literally hundreds of videos on YouTube on how to make one.

Or you could just... You know... Buy one... They cost like £5 (or whatever the $ conversion is)

Only thing you need is a pump and some airline.

£5=$6.3. I have an air pump and a couple of airstones. When i get outa class i will youtube videos

Can you run carbon with a sponge filter?

Why would you want to run carbon in the filter? I was told that the only time to run carbon is after medications have done there job.

How long should the sponge filter be? I have a 8 inch air stone, a little 1 inch, and a 12 inch air stone. My pump needs tweeking to get air all the way down the 12 inch right now.

Back
Top Bottom