Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would you want to run carbon in the filter? I was told that the only time to run carbon is after medications have done there job.

Right - since this is a quarantine/hospital tank, you might have to use medications in it :) Of course you can always remove meds with enough water changes.

Why would you want to run carbon in the filter? I was told that the only time to run carbon is after medications have done there job.

How long should the sponge filter be? I have a 8 inch air stone, a little 1 inch, and a 12 inch air stone. My pump needs tweeking to get air all the way down the 12 inch right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well quite a few designs don't feature an airstone at all, they're just used to dampen the sound by producing smaller bubbles

But those that do will require no larger than the lil 1" stone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_15?k=aquarium+sponge+filters&sprefix=aquarium+sponge

This is just a 2 second search on Amazon for sponge filters.
It seems they've gone down in price since I last looked.

You can see just how many and just how cheap they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, I am most likely going to build one. All I need is a silicone tube, the sponge, and maybe the tube. I have everything else

Ok, I am most likely going to build one. All I need is a silicone tube, the sponge, and maybe the tube. I have everything else

I'm sure the King of DIY has a video on how to make one.

I'd use his over anyone else's as a guide.

I am going to take ideas from both ways of making the sponge filter. The 90 degree bend in the video and the rock/silicone end cap from the article

I am going to take ideas from both ways of making the sponge filter. The 90 degree bend in the video and the rock/silicone end cap from the article

Go for it.

There's no real 'wrong' way of making one.

Looks like I've got a weekend project:)...on top of my homework :(

Looks like I've got a weekend project:)...on top of my homework :(

Haha... I just build stuff for something to do.

I'm just collecting 1 of everything just incase I need it at some point in the distant future.

Haha... I just build stuff for something to do.

I'm just collecting 1 of everything just incase I need it at some point in the distant future.

I am hoping I can build the filter Sunday or maybe tomorrow night at the earliest. I might get the pipe capped, let the silicone dry until Sunday night but idk

In this area at least, the dollar a gallon sales are for 15 gallons and above. I've been looking for awhile for a cheaper 10 gallon "just the tank" with no luck. I imagine the labor involved is why nothing gets below $15.

But I see sets on craigslist a lot, and Petsmart is having a 3 day sale including small kits, here in Portland at least.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Man... I wish we had a £/Gallon thing over here... Everything sounds so much cheaper over the pond.

What's the quality of the tank like on those $/G sales?

Couldn't tell you. My only tank was bought as a kit

Man... I wish we had a £/Gallon thing over here... Everything sounds so much cheaper over the pond.

What's the quality of the tank like on those $/G sales?

They seem, to me, to be the lowest quality tanks, I've seen a lot of goopy silicone and thinner glass. But perfectly respectable for the money, I'd imagine. I worked in picture framing for awhile and glass varies sooo much depending on its features.

I see the absolute cheapest kits at the LFS, not the chain stores. But they tend to be lowest quality ... Heaters and filters that barely fit the need.

They seem, to me, to be the lowest quality tanks, I've seen a lot of goopy silicone and thinner glass. But perfectly respectable for the money, I'd imagine. I worked in picture framing for awhile and glass varies sooo much depending on its features.

I see the absolute cheapest kits at the LFS, not the chain stores. But they tend to be lowest quality ... Heaters and filters that barely fit the need.

Look through the reviews of the cheap kit tanks before purchasing. Junk filters that break easily are one thing, but many brands have problems with tank leaks. I'll take a shoddy filter over a leaky tank any day.

Look through the reviews of the cheap kit tanks before purchasing. Junk filters that break easily are one thing, but many brands have problems with tank leaks. I'll take a shoddy filter over a leaky tank any day.

Hey now don't go dissing kit tanks. My 29 was a kit. No leaks and filter is still running great. I replaced heater and light once

You *could* do a 5, but a 10 will be easier in terms of stable water chemistry. I don't believe that they're going to cost that much more.

Back
Top Bottom