Quarantine WC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmazonMars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have five young Duplicate Corydoras with a good quality heater and filter in an unseeded and uncycled 6g Plastic tote as a quarantine tank. I did a 20% water change and about to do my second daily 20% water change. Is this the appropriate amount for a wc on a daily basis for an uncycled/seeded quarantine tank?

I decided to go with my lps’ advice and other online advice I’ve read to NOT seed or use tank water, Especially since my display tank only has fish for a little over a month and a half so keeping everything separate as I’m still looking out for health of some of the newer inhabitants

I just want to make sure that I am doing the right amount of water changes or should I be changing more? Thank you

Best bet is to test the water chemistry and judge from there, since you're basically doing a fish-in cycle. If ammonia is over .25, I believe is the recommendation, do what you need to bring it back under that.

Best bet is to test the water chemistry and judge from there, since you're basically doing a fish-in cycle. If ammonia is over .25, I believe is the recommendation, do what you need to bring it back under that.

After my second water change, I tested it a few hours later and it is at almost .25 so I immediately added more Prime even though I added more than necessary for the last water change in case. So obviously 20% is not enough. So I ask again, what is the recommended percentage water change that you would recommend for 5 x 0.34 inch Corydoras In an uncycled QT 6 gallon tank?

If, after 24 hours, it's at, say, .5, I'd change about 75-80%. That would drop it to below .1 ppm and give you some time before it built back up.

If it's higher than that, I'd do a 75% change then retest to see where it's at. If it's still higher than .25, continue to do 75% water changes and retesting, until you get it under .25. It's all about diluting the ammonia, so sometimes multiple water changes at a time are necessary. Then you'd test and repeat the next day, and so on.

If, after 24 hours, it's at, say, .5, I'd change about 75-80%. That would drop it to below .1 ppm and give you some time before it built back up.

If it's higher than that, I'd do a 75% change then retest to see where it's at. If it's still higher than .25, continue to do 75% water changes and retesting, until you get it under .25. It's all about diluting the ammonia, so sometimes multiple water changes at a time are necessary. Then you'd test and repeat the next day, and so on.

It was at .25 but I decided to do another wc in case it got too high overnight and I lose more fish so I did a 50% wc
One of them suddenly died within minutes so I decided to put the rest in my main display but another one was already on his side as I put him in and died and now have 3 left of those 5. A 6th one died the day before but I got him missing his barbells and all fins completely clamped so I didn’t expect him to live.
What could’ve caused him to Al Di La so cookies from a water change? Did I overdose on Pime?

Back
Top Bottom