Quartz in water dissolving ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone ever had quartz dissolve in their tank before? It just happened to me and I'm perplexed by the situation?

I don't know about quartz but I have had marble dissolve in a tank before, if it appears to be dissolving I would recommend taking it out as it may play havoc with your water chemistry

Are you certain it's quartz? I have never heard of that dissolving, but who knows. Marble does erode in water though. It loses its nice color/texture.
Can you get a picture?

I don't think it was quartz everything I've read says quartz wont dissolve in water must have been something else I took it out to be safe all my fish seem fine I bought it at my LFS they said it was quartz the darn scam artists guess I'll go tell them Lol

Anyone ever had quartz dissolve in their tank before? It just happened to me and I'm perplexed by the situation?

Take it out a try to scratch it with a steel knife. As was mentioned by others... I suspect it's a carbonate rock. Quartz doesn't dissolve in water. If it's a carbonate, a knife will easily scratch it, but not a quartz stone.

Back
Top Bottom