question about a filter and a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys, I know this is gonna sound kinda a newbie ish, but I have a atta in a 5gal and he seems happy enough, he's got a side filter I believe its a whisper 5-15gal model and its like on its lowest setting and there are plants under it so it deosn't create much of a current. Hoever it does disrupt the surface and discourages my buddy parrot from creating bubblenests (from which I derive immense joy). I was wondering if I could get rid of the filter all together and just do more water changes or if there was soemthing better out there. He's in a tank with only an applesnail so I don't have to keep any other fish in mind.

I wouldnt but then I think of my bettas just like other fish:).... I only have one with no filter....He is in a one gallon that is changed 2x a week .... five gallons is a lot of h2o to move on a multiple week

I have bettas in their own 5 gallon tanks. The filtration I use is a sponge filter, run by an airpump, and a gang valve to control the airflow and water movement. There's a pic in my gallery. But my bettas don't make bubblenests either. One of them does a little bit, but not much. I miss it too!

I haven't tried this, but you could cut a plastic disposable cup in half up and down (don't make the cup shorter, cut so that it won't hold water anymore).

Put the concave side down, just above the water surface, and fasten the bottom of the cup to the side of the tank. The water surface disruption should stop under the cup, and the betta may go under there to make a nest.

The Cup is a great idea, I think it might work all I'd have to do is keep ym snail getting in there, how would you smooth the edges so that the betta wouldn't shred his fins?

The plastic cup could get a jagged edge on it -- you could try some fine sandpaper or you could use a styrofoam cup. That wouldn't get a rough edge, but you may need to replace it often if it gets mushy.

yeah *thinks* I'll try the styrofoam, and I'll make sure its not leeching or anything into the tank

Back
Top Bottom