Question about Chemiclean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashnoel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 24 gallon nano cube running with a hydor wavemaker to increase flow in my tank. i currently have two clownfish, a sapphire blue damsel fish, a coral banded shrimp, and some assorted snails, live rock and some basic corals. i treated my tank yesterday with chemiclean and the store where i purchased it told me to change 20% of the water today, but when i read the back of the box it said to change it after 48 hours.. also, the box says " During treatment maintain tank oxygen levels with airstone or other aerator. " which i do not have.. so what should i do? wait another day, do it today, or buy something to maintain oxygen levels?

Are your power heads still running to agitate surface water ? That would be the most important since 90% of oxygen exchange happens at the surface , not from air passing through the water. Air stones help to creat a upward current pulling the water to the surface.
I would do a PWC if your not running your power heads.....just to be safe.

I've used that stuff. Works great. Follow directions on box. If you have power heads then ur good. Don't know if a wave maker is enough. Lfs people always act like they know what there talking about at first but I bet if you ask a bunch of questions they will eventually tell you that "I just work here". If you don't have power heads then that's probably why ur using the stuff anyways so you might want to invest in one.

I would run all power heads, as there is no advice anywhere saying to turn them off. I would wait the 48 hours, and change the water recommended, but you'll have to do multiple changes in order to remove everything from the tank. it will take some time. A few weeks to remove all of the chemiclean and everything it killed.
If you aren't running a protein skimmer, you won't notice as much, but generally, it takes me about five 20% water changes before I can even turn the skimmer back on. It will immediately overflow otherwise.

well i dont have a protein skimmer because all of the ones that would fit in my tank are more of a hastle then they are worth.

im not sure if is a powerhead, i was told it was. the box says "hydor koralia circulation and wave pump"

i emailed my lfs the same question and these were their responses:

I have treated my 25 gallon cube numerous times with Chemiclean and always wait till the 48 hour mark (I have actually waited longer, but only did a half dose). I would do a little more than a 20%, especially if you did the full recomended dose. We usually recommend starting with the half dose amount, but if you did the full dose, I would change out closer to 30%. And as long as your tank has surface agitation and the pumps are on, an airstone is not really necessary. I have never used one and my fish were completely unaffected by the whole process. If you do notice your fish acting funny or gasping for air, then get an airstone or simply take off your lid and get the pumps aimed toward the surface to get more oxygen in there. Also, if you have a skimmer, it will probably go crazy from the chemical, so you might have to delay turning that on another day or so. Hope this helps :)

There are many ways to use this product. Each person will have their own way that has worked in the past. I would try this as option #1

Treat tank at 1/2 suggested dose. Keep all power heads going to improve oxygen levels. An airstone is even better but not required in most cases.
After 24 hours do the water change and add fresh carbon. Turn skimmer back on but watch closely as it will foam like crazy.

If the slime wasn't completely killed follow the instructions on the package exactly as they are written.

The reason we like the 1/2 dosage and 24 hour treatment is because we have had tanks experience mass die offs when treated per the packages instructions. It doesn't happen every time but we haven't been able to figure out why it does happen.

As for your question I would water change today and add fresh carbon. Then I would evaluate whether the tank needs to be treated again in a few days.

Thanks
Cy

they didnt tell me to use half the product at first so i treated with the whole product.

no im just confused about what to do..

Yes that is a power head. Their advice is pretty sound if you ask me. Since you did the full dose I would follow the instructions exactly ( other than the air stone ) and maybe do a additional water chance of 20% 48 hrs after the first , just to be safe.

thanks for all your help and input everyone!
i did a partial water change and i will be watching water quality closely..

:)

I would deff go the half dose route I used full dose on my 24 followed instructions exactly and my tank crashed since I have used half dose and carbon after 24 hours also and never had a prob again

Back
Top Bottom