Question about drip acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just read the article on drip acclimation. I understand that the idea is to slowly acclimate the fish to the water conditions of my tank.

My question is about the temperature. I see that you float the bag in the tank for 20-30 minutes to equalize the temp, but the temp of my room is not 80 degrees. I figure that in the 2 or 3 hours the tank water is dripping in, the temp in the bucket will drop. Then when I finally place the fish in the warmer tank, temperature shock.

Or am I just being paranoid? :lol:

The water being constantly dripped into the bucket is the same temp as the tank and that will help keep the tank equalized, but if the temp difference is enough, you might use a small heater to equalize the temp, or you could temp acclimate after the water has dripped enough, just bag the fish and float it in the tank, then release the fish.

For long acclimations I use a heating pad wrapped in foil. this has helped keep my water warm for hours. Just place it under your bucket and set it on a med. heat.

Another good method for drip acclimation is once the bag has floated long enough for temp, attach it to the inside edge of the sump if you have one so it sits in the water. That will maintain the temp with alot less muss and hassle. The only drawback is you must be watchful that the water does not overflow into the sump. LFS water is not on the top 10 list of must haves... LOL

Cheers
Steve

I float them the whole time. adding an ounce or two every 15 min with a turky baster. filling the bag and then dump 1/2 out. repete the process twice. then lift the fish out with my hand and into the tank,

Back
Top Bottom