Question about free tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a free 70 gallon tall tank off of Craigslist yesterday. It needs to be re-sealed which isn't a problem, I have experience with that. The problem is that the glass sides don't match up. Meaning, in the corners, they don't meet up evenly. Also, the top black piece that "holds the glass together" is broken in half, how do I go about fixing this? And is it even fixable? I tried to get the best photos I could to show what I'm talking about....any info is greatly appreciated!!

ForumRunner_20120120_222917.jpg

ForumRunner_20120120_222952.jpg

ForumRunner_20120120_222935.jpg

I would be very wary of a tank in that condition. The top band being broken is never a good sign.

The best thing you could do is reseal it, then set the tank in a safe place with paper towels underneath it, and then fill it as full as you would fill it for fish. leave it there for as much as a week, and if there are no leaks after that, then it MIGHT be good enough.

As for the top band - it is usually in place to provide extra support for the glass strain, so being broken may cause problems. You can glue it back together for appearance-purposes, but it will likely not provide the same support it did before.

Thank you for the info! I'm going to try to fix it I guess...couldn't hurt. Worth a shot I suppose?

Back
Top Bottom