Question about my cycle (recycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am currently do a fishless recycle. Reason being myself 3 yr old son tried to help his fish out with medicine. The fish in this tank had some fin fumble issues so lfs recomended primafix. So I had been treating them daily and the son had been watching. Well he decided he was going to help them and dumped the whole bottle in. They all acted real drunk the just went belly up within a matter of about 2-4 minutes. So I pulled everything out cleaned it all and am trying to fishless cycle. I started on friday.

Friday
Added ammonia (added to much did pwc)
Ammonia - 4ppm
pH - 7.2
Nitrite - .50
NitrAte - between 0 - 5.0

Saturday
Same as Friday

Sunday
pH - 7.0
Ammonia - 8.0 (this is my concern)
Nitrite - 2.0
NitrAte - 20 ppm

Monday
pH - 7.0
Ammonia - 8.0
Nitrite - 2.0
Nitrate - 20ppm

So why are my ammonia levels going up? Any suggestions. I do have some small plants in there that I rinsed well before putting back in.
Tank specs
10gal
Undergravel filter
Quiet flow 30 (200gal per hour)
Substrate lfs bought gravel

Big.Jon said:
So I am currently do a fishless recycle. Reason being myself 3 yr old son tried to help his fish out with medicine. The fish in this tank had some fin fumble issues so lfs recomended primafix. So I had been treating them daily and the son had been watching. Well he decided he was going to help them and dumped the whole bottle in. They all acted real drunk the just went belly up within a matter of about 2-4 minutes. So I pulled everything out cleaned it all and am trying to fishless cycle. I started on friday.

Friday
Added ammonia (added to much did pwc)
Ammonia - 4ppm
pH - 7.2
Nitrite - .50
NitrAte - between 0 - 5.0

Saturday
Same as Friday

Sunday
pH - 7.0
Ammonia - 8.0 (this is my concern)
Nitrite - 2.0
NitrAte - 20 ppm

Monday
pH - 7.0
Ammonia - 8.0
Nitrite - 2.0
Nitrate - 20ppm

So why are my ammonia levels going up? Any suggestions. I do have some small plants in there that I rinsed well before putting back in.
Tank specs
10gal
Undergravel filter
Quiet flow 30 (200gal per hour)
Substrate lfs bought gravel

Hmm sounds like u have something rotting somewhere in Ur tank or filter. And are those plants live?

Yes the plants are live should I not have them in there during cycle?

Hubert90 said:
No no they are fine! The reason i asked is because under gravel filter aint ideal for live plants.

Ah ok I didn't know that one of the plants was doing a very good job of rooting itself to the undergravel filter lol.

Big.Jon said:
Ah ok I didn't know that one of the plants was doing a very good job of rooting itself to the undergravel filter lol.

Hahah ya i came across it before while doin my share of research when I was deciding on what filter to buy. U should google it and see. Shouldn't be hard to fine! Haha

Ammonia may be too high right now. The usual recommendation is 4 ppm. May need to do pwc to bring it down a little. Also, the bacteria you want to grow love oxygen, so you may want to add an air stone if you have it.

jimenezlee said:
Ammonia may be too high right now. The usual recommendation is 4 ppm. May need to do pwc to bring it down a little. Also, the bacteria you want to grow love oxygen, so you may want to add an air stone if you have it.

Thanks, wasn't sure if I would do a pwc or just wait on it. I have a 5in air stone in there plus the undergravel filter is adding some extra bubbles. I will try the pwc what do you think 20% or larger one?

Yep, +1 on the 50% As long as your tap has no ammonia itself (Mine has .25 out the tap) it should bring it down to 4.

What I'm curious about is how you got to 8ppm in the first place? Be careful counting drops on how much ammonia it takes daily to keep it at 4ppm. Add a little and test before adding more. You'll only have to do this a few times. The idea is to figure out something like "I need to add 3 drops every day".

Alright did a 50% pwc. Ammonia is now @ 4ppm. Now just waiting to see that they only go down and not back up.

So I just check my filed for anything rotting. I didn't find much but there was some slimmy left over food that was some how staying at the bottom. So after cleaning it out decided to do another check.
pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 4ppm
NitrItes - 2.0ppm
NitrAte - little less than 20 ppm

Back
Top Bottom