Question about new 50 gallon cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few questions about my tank cycle. I have a new 50 gallon tank that I set up on Dec. 21st. New canister filter, mostly new decor, no live plants. My Boirb gave out last week (hence the upgrade to a 50 gallon), so I moved about 5 fake plants, and a good pile of gravel to the new tank to help seed it. I added a bottle of Tetra Safestart and the 8 guppies from my biorb on Dec 22nd. It has been 4 days now. I tested yesterday and today. Yesterday my ammonia was between 0 and .25, no nitrites. Today, my ammonia was 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates 5ppm. My PH has been steady at 7.8 (which is what my tap water reads at also).
Does it usually take this long to get any readings when cycling with fish? I have never done a cycle with fish, but I had to move the guppies so this is my first attempt at cycling with fish.
Can I add ammonia to kickstart the process a little bit or will it be overkill on the fish? I am doing my best to keep them alive through this process. They are all happy, eating well, very colorful. I have some cloudiness in the tank today, so I think I have a small bacterial bloom going, but why am I not seeing any readings? The tests are showing up like a completely cycled tank in only a few days, but even with seeding, is that possible?

Whatever you do..don't add ammo while fish are in...I took media from a big tank and placed/seeded into a smaller tank and mine was cycled like 3-4 days and results are still the same today..... I will let others answer those other concerns...

Thanks, I will not add any ammonia as I do not want to kill the fish. I love these little guppies, they are so fun!
I am just confused as to why I am not seeing anything but nitrates.......

Did you add the filter media from the Bioorb to the new filter? If not you should if it's still viable (wet). The larger volume of water probably explains the slow increase in toxins. If you added the filter media from the Biorob to the canister then it probably instantly cycled it for the fish you have now. If not, then it has to re-cycle but it's possible that the gravel is helping some. Just keep an eye on levels for the next couple of weeks. Also do NOT add ammonia with fish in the tank! The fish themselves are providing ammonia. Just be patient and let the process play out.

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello Kim...

Live plants would be helpful cycling your tank. I used Ancharis and Pennywort. Both are easy to grow. Just drop the plants into the tank. They'll use the nitrogens produced by the fish waste and keep the water healthier for your fish.

When you use fish to cycle a tank, you must test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, change out at least 25 percent of the old water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. The water change will remove the toxins and get the chemistry back into the "safe zone" for your fish.

Guppies are a good, hardy fish fish and will easily survive the cycling process. But, you must carefully monitor the tank water daily and change it when your test shows even a trace of the above toxins.

Once several tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, you can add a few more fish and resume the testing and water changes. The process takes several weeks, if not a couple of months. But, you have the benefit of having fish in the tank.

You don't need to add any chemicals to the tank. Just monitor the water and change it when needed.

B

Thanks for the info. I am and will continue to test daily and do pwc's as needed. So far, I have yet to really even see any levels. I guess I just figured it wouldn't take this long for the fish to create enough ammonia to register.
I did transfer the biological media to the new tank to seed it, but the Biorb is a wierd tank, the filter is all in one combined with air tube, and the bio-media is actually the "gravel" which is like chunks of ceramic rock. I just added it on top of the new gravel, as it is an odd thing to try to cram into my filter. lol

Back
Top Bottom