Question about possible inbreeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was just browsing the threads a second ago and came across one that is talking about inbreeding.
This made me think about my own current breeding adventure.
I have a pair of Apistos that I am breeding and just realized a possible scenario. There are a few LFS where I live but only one of them has this type of Apisto. I bought the male a while back, probably about 6 months ago. I just purchased a female for him to breed with last week.
Now, since I can only find them at this one particular LFS, do we think that these fish could be from the same bloodline? Maybe the LFS purchases brood after brood from the same seller?
Just a thought I had. Let's Chat about it..

Steve

Attachments

• 2012-05-15_21-31-45_174.jpg
    2012-05-15_21-31-45_174.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 55
It's highly likely they are from the same breeding stock, unless the LFS switched up their sources in between purchases. It's not really that big of a deal though, the inbreeding ssues usually start turning up several generations in.

So I was just browsing the threads a second ago and came across one that is talking about inbreeding.
This made me think about my own current breeding adventure.
I have a pair of Apistos that I am breeding and just realized a possible scenario. There are a few LFS where I live but only one of them has this type of Apisto. I bought the male a while back, probably about 6 months ago. I just purchased a female for him to breed with last week.
Now, since I can only find them at this one particular LFS, do we think that these fish could be from the same bloodline? Maybe the LFS purchases brood after brood from the same seller?
Just a thought I had. Let's Chat about it..

Steve

As Jetajockey mentioned, inbreeding is an issue when you are about 5-7 generations in that have been constantly bred into the same bloodline (Parent to child, brother to sister). What eventually happens is that a larger percentage of the fry will be deformed. The way you can avoid this scenario is to find out if the fish you are buying are wild or tank raised. If they are wild, then in a few generations down the line, add another wild fish to the breeding stock for some new" Blood". If these are all tank raised fish, it will be up to you to cull the best fish that show the least amount of genetic faults to keep as breeders. The longer you can keep the external characteristics, the better. (You might also try to get some breeding stock from a cichlid club in another area so you know it comes from another bloodline.)
When it comes to genetics, there are a few tricks you can use. A buddy of mine breeds the plainest, ugliest KOI to each other and gets the most beautiful and fancy colored young from them. You'd never know that was inside them from their appearance. It's all in the genes :D

Hope this clears things up a bit for you ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom