Question about water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Im still putting my 72g system together and was planning on doing 10-15g water changes every other week.

10-15g per w/c is a lot more than I'm accustom to being use to smaller 10g tanks. I was wondering if you guys just poured the new water in all at once or slowly over time?

Do you have a python? If not, I strongly suggest you invest in a python system, especially with a 70 gallon tank. With a python, you have a choice of adding dechlorinator right after you remove the water or while your refilling right from the sink.

I can't imagine replacing 10-15 gallons of water at once by hauling buckets around.

img_292607_0_eb7407fdd268c9f8502d863c59147a7e.jpg

it stinks trust me i keep goldies and they get 20 fresh gallons of water not once but twice a week and i have no python all done with gallon jugs isnt that a stinker

All I have is a gravel vac and a 5 gallon bucket for 4 tanks, a 20 gal, 29 gal, 35 gal, and 55 gal. I've seriously begun to consider a Python. :lol:

I agree with Fawn. We have a 75gal. and a 65gal. and I can't imagine doing the water changes without the Python. You can get extension hoses to cover a longer distance if the tank is not near your water source. I do weekly 15-20 gal. changes in each tank and it doesn't take very long, nor does it make a mess. To answer your question I put it in all at once but make sure the water temp. is the same as your tank and when using the Python add enough water treatment to treat the capacity of your entire tank not just the amount added during your change. Good luck and enjoy your new tank!

Kevin

Sorry... I thought I posted this in the Saltwater forum. I wish I could use a python, but I have to use RO/DI water.

Wow, so if you have a python, you can just drain out the desired amount of water, then before refilling the tank, you add your dechlorinator (enough to treat the whole tank) and you are done??

I have been putting off getting one because I figured I would have to measure and treat the water as I added it anyway. This changes everything!

We have a gravel vac just like the one pictured, not the same brand, and I don't know how we could have ever gone without it. It used to take us HOURS to do a partial water change on the 55 gal (we take out all of the greenery and fish each time) and now it takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. It's not necessary for a little 10 gal, but it's better than sucking on that gravel vac hose trying to get it started. BTW- just recently I figured out a way to start the gravel vac without sucking on the hose.

Back
Top Bottom