Question About White Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my Danios has one little white bump on his nose. I don't think it is Ick as its just one spot and he's not rubbing or does not seem distressed. Do you think it can be a bite from another fish?

Ammonia - .50
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
I don't recall the Ph or high range but both were in the good zone.

First have you cycled your tank? Your ammonia is at .50 but should be at <.25 an both your nitrites and nitrates are at 0 so I'm worried youre doing an "fish in" cycle

Yeah the tank is cycled. I've has it for months. I dis do a fish in cycle but with really hardy fish. They might be at zero cause I just did a 25% change last night. The day before it the nitrates and nitrites were a tad bit above zero.

At the very least you should do a large water change right away, at least 50% if not more, to get that ammonia down. At 0.50 it's hurting the fish.

libraygirl said:
At the very least you should do a large water change right away, at least 50% if not more, to get that ammonia down. At 0.50 it's hurting the fish.

I can get .50 down with a 10 to 25% change however the LFS tested my water and said its perfect.

Lifeoffroad said:
I can get .50 down with a 10 to 25% change however the LFS tested my water and said its perfect.

Did they use strips? Or liquid?

They use liquid. So do I. I've done a partial since when I posted this so maybe thats why. I do a partial once a week and about every other week I treat with ammonia safe and easy balance.

Do you have a planted tank? That's the only reason I can think of why you have 0ppm nitrates .If your tank is cycled your ammonia and nitrites should be 0.0ppm and a hint of nitrates which you don't have. I would do at least 50% to lower your ammonia to a less toxic level. <.25ppm.

Nope no potted plants. I'm confused why is it shocking that I don't have any nitrates? I thought that was a good thing just tested after 10% change last week and this week and I'm down to .25

How do you know? If there is ammonia, they are not happy. It is toxic and hurts your fish. You are here for advice, right? Why are you "blocking" the people that are trying to help you?

roydooms said:
How do you know? If there is ammonia, they are not happy. It is toxic and hurts your fish. You are here for advice, right? Why are you "blocking" the people that are trying to help you?

Cause my fish talk to me ; - ). Im sorry let me rephrase. They do not seemed stressed.

They may not seem stressed but the ammonia is hurting your fish.

It is hard to give advice to people who doesn't listen... We are trying to help and you're being defensive and thinks you know everything you need to know. That is not the case with you. You can lower your pride and listen or people will think twice to help you.

roydooms said:
They may not seem stressed but the ammonia is hurting your fish.

It is hard to give advice to people who doesn't listen... We are trying to help and you're being defensive and thinks you know everything you need to know. That is not the case with you. You can lower your pride and listen or people will think twice to help you.

Im sorry i reviewed the entire thread and i dont see one response where im being defensive or not listening. Sorry, sometimes reading something comes across diferently. Also, my thread was to ask a question about a white spot and hardly one person responded and now im being attacked for a .25 amonia rate which to be honest it may or may not be hurting my fish. Even my test kit says to keep it at .25 or lower. Sorry unless your a sientist running scientific studies on whether ammonia is hurting my fish dont tell me it is. I had a 60 gallon tank of chiclids and never even conditioned the water cause i didnt know better at the time never had one fish get sick or did any die and they grew to be over 5 years old.

Lifeoffroad said:
Im sorry i reviewed the entire thread and i dont see one response where im being defensive or not listening. Sorry, sometimes reading something comes across diferently. Also, my thread was to ask a question about a white spot and hardly one person responded and now im being attacked for a .25 amonia rate which to be honest it may or may not be hurting my fish. Even my test kit says to keep it at .25 or lower. Sorry unless your a sientist running scientific studies on whether ammonia is hurting my fish dont tell me it is. I had a 60 gallon tank of chiclids and never even conditioned the water cause i didnt know better at the time never had one fish get sick or did any die and they grew to be over 5 years old.

The whole reply above is just you being defensive.

First of all, we are trying to figure out what's wrong. That's why we asked all the questions. We cannot just jumped in and tell you what's wrong with your fish. I may not be a scientist("you" being defensive again) but i did a lot of research. Just google it and you will know why ammonia is bad for fish. Ammonia interferes with the ability of your fish to use oxygen from the water. Detecting ammonia in the water simply means you have excessive waste in the tank. It is highly acidic and will burn their gills. High levels will kill your fish that's why we are advising you to do a PWC.

If you were listening, you'll be asking questions why and not answer with "my fish are fine". How would you know? You're not a scientist.

Well, aside from the ammonia issue, it was probably a piece of debris on it's nose. I had some danios with a piece of dirt or something on the fin. These were my first fish in the tank, and I thought it was Ich. It wasn't. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom