Question on bala...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure how your java moss will react to the salt but I am fairly certain your eels will not appreciate it. The salt can burn scaleless fish.

Actually the fire eels prefer salt, even slightly brackish. The only reason I discontinued using just a small amount of salt is because I was going to add java moss and wasn't sure how it would react. But the eels prefer some salt in the water, they do better that way.

Java Moss can be somewhat salt tolerant, certainly more so then other freshwater plants. Make sure you do lots of water changes until the popeye is healed.

That's my plan, lots of water changes. I was doing the changes once a week, but now doing a 20% every other day til it heals up. Still researching other meds to try. But I think a salt treatment will be best.

Here are some pics. They aren't the best, but it's all I could get.

bala1.jpg

bala2.jpg

bala3.jpg

Now you can all see his problem, his left eye. The right is just fine. But seems to see just fine, as he doesn't swim awkwardly. And acts normal as usual, hard to take pics of because he's always moving.

Looks like the swelling has gone down some, and starting to heal. But still looks ugly. I finally added some salt today too, a little less than I did before while cycling the tank, as I wasn't sure how the java moss would handle it. Will do another water change tomorrow, and add a little salt to the new water before adding to the tank. Everything else is looking pretty good.

It's interesting that eels like some salt in the water. I wonder what makes them different from other scaleless fish, that do suffer with the use of salt? LOL I could google it but I am tired.

Glad to hear he is starting to be on the mend!

Here's a little info on the fire eels...

Water parameters; pH 6.5 - 8 generally, but neutral to slightly hard preferable. Most species seem to do better in slightly brackish conditions, but if water is on hard side they should be OK. Water quality should be excellent however, they can be very susceptable to bacterial infections. External filtration recommended for larger fish.

Well, I thought it was going down, maybe it did a little bit, but hasn't changed much lately. I decided to go a step further, I slowly increased the temp to 84 in my temp, which is max on my thermometer, then gave the heater a slight touch more so it's around 86 I'm hoping.Now to leave it for the next week or 2 to see if it helps. I've also placed my powerhead back in with the air intake attached to add air to the output. Hope things get better soon.....

Back
Top Bottom