Question on bubblers....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering if it was recommended to have a bubble wand in a SW setup. I know it would be more work keeping things clean. I saw a couple SW setups in town, and at one of the LFS's, and when I asked the LFS, they said it's not really required, but highly recommended. Is it something that you should use, or is it more for looks? If I started a SW tank with my 55G, I would prefer not having a bubbler. I'm hoping that it's for looks, lol, because I don't want it, lol.

It does good to aerate the water and increase gas exchange at the surface of the water. However, it will result in a higher rate of evaporation and a HUGE problem with salt creep. A good powerhead will do 100x the work a "bubble wand" without the mess. Not necessary IMO, but to each his/her own.

Cool, because I was just going to set up with 4 powerheads and a skimmer, and maybe a canister filter with LR rubble in it for some extra circulation as well. Either that, or I'll set up my 29G under it for a sump and use my 2 external pumps that I bought years ago and have never opened up, lol. Looking at using 3 or 4 Koralias for good circulation, maybe 3 for the tank and 1 for the surface, as well as the protien skimmer at the surface.

What skimmer? Just be aware that there are many skimmers on the market that are pieces of.....junk you could use as the friendly word. Stay away from seaclone, coralife, and marineland skimmers.

Sounds good! 4 Koralia 3's would be plenty. I have one 2, a 3, and a fluval 405 on my 75, and the water really moves lol.

If you're setting up a sump, I'd skip the canister filter. The Koralias will provide more than adequate flow.

Not sure what kind of skimmer yet. I'm still in the thinking phase and putting together everything I need on paper before doing anything. I still have the remaining resident of the 55G to put into my 75G before I do it, my Fire Eel, which is near 11" now, maybe 12". So it would be a 55G setup with a 29G sump, if I did it that way, and 2 powerful external pumps. And would try and find an overflow for the 55G that would have a maximum flow of about 1.5x that of both pumps combined, that way I know the pumps wouldn't be too much for the overflow. They are a Coralife Turbo-Sea 580-P High Pressure (586GPH) and a Coralife Turbo-Sea 790-P High Pressure (793GPH).

As for the canister, it would only be if I didn't use a sump. It would be one way or the other, not both, lol.

If you go with a sump look at the Reef octopus nw models. They are highly recommended. If you don't use a sump, look at the Reef octopus bh-300f. If you get the amount of koralias you are planning on getting, depending on the size of the koralia, the external pumps will not be needed. Getting off topic a tad bit lol sorry.

LOL, I wouldn't use the pumps with no sump, lol. Would be tough to set it up if I tried, lol. Also, before I set anything up, I have to build a new tank stand, as the one I have doesn't have anyway to set up the 29G underneath. Was looking at building a nice cabinet for the setup with shelves on both sides for all my supplies, and do it all in cedar. And the question, would the sump need a light as well if I had a bunch of small LR in it as well? Or would it not be necessary?

If you plan on growing some sort of algae down there to help reomove nitrates, you would. If not growing algae to help remove nitrates, then I don't see a reason for a light.

Oh, and when I was doing some research, they say the Sicce pump on the 800 is usually quieter than the Resun pumps on the 300F and has less noise issues.

Hmmm.....so I may get the BH-800s..... I have really only heard complaints about noise on the bh-1000 and 2000 because they are external pumps but the noise wasn't very loud.

Back
Top Bottom