Question on Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshel54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank 55 gallons. Stocking 8 large African Cichlids.
Tank has been up 5 years running 2 power filters and a canister filter. One of the hang on the backs quit and the canister filter has been growling for a month. Today I bought a new canister that is rated for 100 gallons.
I would like to eliminate the remaining power filter.
Will the new canister handle the job by its self? Should I run the remaining power filter until bacteria is established in the new canister? Should the holes in the discharge tubes be pointed up to enhance oxygen exchange?

I'd run all the filters with the new canister and after a month take one power filter offline and after a few weeks start bring the old canister offline and rework it.

Would re-purposing media (scissors and what have you) from existing filters to stuff into a new unit be effective enough to re-establish the biofilter?

Lost of folks run themselves to death on a new tank testing water and trying to keep ammonia levels at zero, but you have to have some ammonia to get the bacteria going in the filter

Back
Top Bottom