Question on cycling. Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my 26 gl bowfront last saturday 4th. Doing a fishless cycle with ammonia. Today ammonia is still 5 or a tad more ppm, nitrites and titrates are 0. I have seeded the tank with gravel, filter and fake plant from an established tank. How long should it be till I start seeing a change? Thanks for any help!

Have you done a control test of your tap water? fwiw, i cycled almost the exact same way and was completely cycled in about a week.

What is your source of ammonia? If you are adding ammonia you should see nitrite soon. What kind of test kit are you using?

I've been using straight ammonia and using the master test kit. I havent added any ammonia since the first day since it hasent dropped any. Maybe I'm just to impacent :wink:

Mine took in the neighborhood of 5 weeks to cycle. But I didn't seed it with anything.

Good luck!

Gary

Do you have another tank? If so, just take some water from that and put it into the one that you are trying to get going.

Water doesn't help, in contains no bacteria all you are doing is adding dirty water. Some more seeded media may do the trick. I would imagine you will see some movement soon.

I cycled a 55 gallon very fast by adding "seeded" material about every third day. If you space it out and keep adding it helps a great deal.

Well, the question is why hasn't your bacterial seed done much in the last two weeks.

theory one: your seed did not contain much bacteria. The gravel, plant, and filter were not in an established tank long enough to become heavily colonized, or was not of sufficient amount. Thus, you are starting from scratch as if you have not seeded at all. What did you mean by using a seeded filter? a few pieces of filter colonized media into a new filter, or a new filter run on an established tank for a few weeks then transfered over? Somethng else?

Thoery two: your bacterial seed was wiped out. Chlorine or chloramine in your new tanks water, or an antibiotic, or ?? killed off the bacteria that you put in. Thus, you are starting from scratch with only the bacteria that survived the insult.

Theory three, none of the above?

I have found that the best way to seed a new aquarium is by using a very used "stanky" filter cartridge from an established tank. I have not had much success using gravel and such.

In another month or two you will be cycled and not even thinking about it. Then, if you are like me, you will searching for another tank to set up. What do they call it, MTO - Multiple Tank Syndrome!

Update,

Well its been 2 1/2 weeks my readings are now ....
Ammonia--4
Nitrite--.25
Nitrate--2
PH--7.8

Looks like I'm seeing some change. Ive changed out the gravel I was using to seed with and smash it around every few days. I dont have a dirty filter since I just changed my other one a few day before receiving my new aquarium ( gift from wife).

I would keep doing partial water changes. After a week or so, throw in the filter cartridge from your other tank, it should help a great deal.
Good luck!

So should I do pwc while the tank is cycling? I dont have any fish in the aquarium so I didnt think the nitrates would matter. I was planning on a 50% change when the cycle was complete.

You are correct, no need to change water until the end, since you went fishless. I would recommend a 75% change at least when you are done.

Back
Top Bottom