Question on salt/Ph/and water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im converting my 55gal fowlr over to reef. Nothing spectacular, just leathers, xenia, and some others. I already have my lighting in RO water setup. My questions are:

-Ive been using Instant Ocean salt, now that im putting corals in, do I NEED to switch salts (to Reef crystals maybe) or just bump the salinity up a bit?

-The RO water I have is a different Ph than it is after I mix it with salt. For top-offs should I worry about the Ph difference when using it as freshwater topoff?

-How often should I be doing water changes with (and w/o) corals?

SPECS- 55gal-60Ilb. Live/Dead rock mix-refugium with different macroalgeas-NO sump/Skimmer-50gph HOB filter

Thanks ! any help is appreciated

IO Reef Crystals or another Reef blend salt is required.

RO water is pH 7.0 (pure water). Anything other than pH 0f 7.0 means your water filter system needs upgrading (to a RODI unit). Therefore 7.0 is not only OK, its the best. BTW, the water that evaporates will have a pH very near 7.0 as well.

10% per week is recommended to replace used up minerals in the water. Keep an eye on your alk/calc/mag to see if changes to the amount are required. Yes, it also removes a itsy bitsy tiny amount of nitrates (ummm, 10% or so), but your macro algae will do better in nutrient removal.

I get RO water from Earthfare, I beleive its 7.6ph but after I mix salt in its 8.4ph.

Thnaks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom