Question on temp control...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any unit that you can buy to keep the tank temp within certain limits, such as a combo heater/chiller? It's something I may be interested in if I get the large tank, as where it sits, the tank will get pretty warm. I'd like to keep it between 78-80, but like my 55G right now, it's running at 85-87 due to summer heat. I run my A/C all day, but the tank is located on the other end of the house, which is the end that get's the warmest, takes most of the evening sun. Just any ideas on keeping a more stable temp?

Yes from what I have seen there are devices but you could upgrade A/C or buy a window unit for cheaper and if your room is that hot, why not be comfortable while viewing the fish. You can by a window unit for under 100 bucks now a days. Quick fix is a fan aimed over the tank to get the evaporative cooling effect. If you are into DIY you could take a small fridge (dorm fridge) and do the modification to create a chiller unit. Drill the two small holes in the side and pass tubing through it, coil the tubing as many times as possible and use a low flow pump. The heater and fridge will be in a constant battle but you can stabilize the temp.

With the dorm fridge method (I've considered doing it) one thing you could do is put a plastic container in it filled with water. that the tubing runs into, coils around, then runs out of. Once the water gets down to the temp of the fridge it will do a much better job cooling the water passing through your tubing (which would probably be, ideally, bent copper tubing for conduction).

Chillers designed for aquariums tend to be very pricy.

I'd argree with the idea of upgrading your A/C. It's going to be way cheaper to run, and make your room more comfortable too.

You can buy a chiller that is dual stage, it will have a controller for cooling and heating ......... but the lowest price I've seen is $700. So an AC upgrade may be more cost effective. lol

Your buddies the good Drs have a couple listed. I'd provide a link, but then you don't have an excuse to go browsing. Or do you have their online catalog memorised by now??

LOL, I have their site bookmarked, lol. If I wanted to upgrade the AC, then I'd have to have someone punch a hole in the wall and mount one, lol. My windows aren't AC friendly, lol. Plus with all the snoopers in the area, don't want to have easy access to get in.

Back
Top Bottom