Question Regarding Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WilliamIsAFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would first like to thank you for taking the time to assist me. I appreciate it and I am very thankful for the help.

Tank Size : 55 Gallons (Fresh Water)

I have a Cichlid who has become VERY aggressive. I have never had a problem with the Cichlids going after the Plecos, but this cichlid is going after everything in the tank, including plecos.

The cichlid has moved all the gravel (which doesn't surprise me with Cichlids) within one corner of the tank near a piece of Driftwood. Fish is now BRIGHT orange in color. Could this fish be breeding? It is keeping majority of the fish on the other side of the tank. Should I put up a tank divider?

It's really hard for me to see behind the driftwood as the tank is against the wall. I really didn't want to disrupt the fishes home (as I was looking for eggs). I do have another similar cichlid as the one pictured but that cichlid isn't orange.

Attachments

• 1410760_1514668118789062_5900250285994611853_o.jpg
    1410760_1514668118789062_5900250285994611853_o.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 73
I have included a list of the fish housed in the tank. I don't know if that will help you.

x4 - Plecos
x2 - M. estherae ? Cichlids (pictured)
x1 - Bumblebee Cichlid
x2 - Electric Yellow Cichlids (which produced 2 babies recently)
x1 - Maingano Cichlid
x1 - Eureka Cichlid

I tried to place a Blood Parrot Cichlid in there...yeah...that wasn't working out to well with the cichlid shown....

For starters, two Red Devils is a pretty bad idea IMO. They are extremely aggressive and should only be housed together if they are of opposite sex and only kept with fish hat can defend themselves. Also, I wouldn't put two in a 55 either. It's recommended at least 50 for 1 as they really need a ton of room since they can easily reach a foot in size.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

ty for the reply..I updated the post...I was mis-informed....the problems are occurring with the Cichlid shown in the picture. M. estherae? I don't believe it's a Red Devil.....Red Zebra Cichlids?.......Sorry

The problem is that you don't have enough. You need more african cichlids to disperse the aggression. I would consider expanding the groups of mbuna you already have.

Also, keeping plecos with rift lake cichlids is a 50/50 proposition. They often get attacked, especially when small.

I appreciate the feedback Dalto...thank you!!!! I will pick up some more fish (mbuna cichlids). Should I buy a little here and there and slowly introduce them? or purchase them in a larger group introducing them all at once? ps..sorry - still learning...lol

I would add 7 more mbuna, preferably more of the species you already have all at once.

Make sure they are big enough that they won't be eaten.

I will take your advice. Obviously you are more educated than I am...lol....I will try and add the 7 mbuna or a similar species in which is already housed in the tank. I really do appreciate this as it will help my fish thrive instead of die. I will post pictures when done.

Mbuna love caves and hiding places and claim their territory, setting up some rock caves/hides would definitely help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom