Questionable product? Please comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I bought a Powder Blue Tang last week and placed it in the QT. I was advised to use the Kordon Ick Attack to treat ICK instead of Coopersafe which I found to be very effective. The reason is to prevent the cooper from getting into the main tank when the fish is transfered over. I followed instructions and after a couple days, the fish got worse so I read the bottle for the ingredients. I found out that it is made of herbal products and I became very wary of its efficacy. Today the fish really got the ICK bad ( it may have died already) so I went online to read the comments about the "Ick Attack". The comments are not very favorable and now I really wonder if this product works at all. Any comments about this stuff?

PS: In my experience any medication that claim to be reef safe don't work at all. My latest experience confirms what I have believed all along. DP

Typically if a product advertises itself as being made of herbs it's designed to be marketed to the sort of people who are more likely to smoke it than research it anyway.

No idea about that product specifically though.

IMO it`s definitely not worth the effort. I know several people that have used it with no success. Alot of so called magic potions out there. Treat with hypo. For tangs they dont handle copper too good IMO.

i just put all my fish in a qt tank and one of the is a pbt and the outher is a yellow tang and a maroon clown and 2 4 strip damsels and i used copper power and all the spots r now gone and it has only been 3 days and the tangs seem to be very happy so i would say i would use copper power and follow the doesing to what thay say on the bottle. and thay will still stay for 6 weeks in the qt tank so the cycle in the show thank will brake. well good luck with your pbt

HypOsalinity and using cleaner shrimps will usually help greatly .. Search out the HypOsalinity method and try that .. Copper has to be carefully monitored ..and dosed .. Only after you bring the SPG back to what it should be can you add the shrimp as they do not do too well in HypOsalinity ... Copper has a quick peak and sharp fall if not monitored can and will kill a fish. Remeber any fish that is scaleless such as a clown fish and puffers it should not be used . It should also not be used in the tank since it will kill off inverts .

Cupramine is safe for puffers and tangs from my experiences. Hyposalinity is probably the most affordable and natural route, but Chloroquine is the best method to date ime.

Back
Top Bottom