Questions about ADA AquaSoil Amazonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The amazonia is designed to leach ammonia. Substrate goes in at the start of a build and by leaching ammonia it gives your filter the ammonia source the BB need

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I figure it's probably not only to feed the bb, they could have achieved that with much less ammonia. Plants also use ammonia and nitrogen so being designed for a planted aquarium I believe it is designed to be more as an additional plant nutrient.

Edit: However, as it stands my bucket of fish is having to be water changed every other day due to being overstocked. So I'm trying to speed up the nitrification as much as possible.

Sorry I did not read all the posts, but if the tank is overstocked with plants, that should help as the NH3 will be used by the plants as also the BB. IME, I have seen people in the hobby, use ADA soil, stuff the tank with flora, fill 80% with water from an old tank, use existing filter media, leave the setup for a couple of days, and add the crits on the third. NH3, NO2 tests= 0.

PS: A good example:

I checked the water in the morning yesterday still reading 4+ppm

Have yet to check today as it was a late night playing diablo3 for ps4 and at work now.

I actually don't have my co2 ready yet :(. However, I checked the tank today 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, around 10ppm nitrate!

I'm guessing that it will leech more every time you move the substrate around. Try swirling it around (unless you have a specific substrate layout that you don't want to disturb) and test an hour later.

check again tomorrow. If the test results are the same, you should be good to go.
However, do not add all the fish together. Do it over a couple of days. Add 4-6 and check the parameters next day. Then add a few more[if all is good] and check again next day. Allow the BB to settle and make a colony for the bioload.

I had already added a few fish back checked again this morning still 0 ammonia so I added the rest in this morning and got the second filter back on it.

Just an update all the fish are still doing great, with the addition of the fish back they did stir up the substrate a bit and the bb did have to readapt to the bioload so I did see some ammonia but once the second filter went back on and a small water change was done levels went back to perfect quickly.

Back
Top Bottom