Questions about adding internal overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93MSB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm picking up a 60gal seaclear acrylic aquarium (48x15x18). I want to do a 30gal freshwater refugium sump and I want add internal overflow box(es) to the display tank. I've never done a sump setup before so I need to know all the little tricks, what not to do etc. ill try to be specific with my questions.

My goals are to try to have enough flow with the filtration system to keep ditritus from settling on the substrate (basically trying to avoid having power heads in the display). It will be in my living room so low noise is also a goal.

I'm assuming the first thing I need to prepare is the display tank, so my first two questions are...

What in your experience is the best overflow box placement? One big overflow in the rear-center of the tank? Or having one at each rear corner? Or something else?

What in your opinion is the place to drill for the bulkhead? Through the bottom of the tank? Or through the rear?

perhaps the DIY forum would better serve my thread? maybe a moderator could move it for me?

Ive done some more digging and ive found a few styles of standpipes.

1. Durso
2. Hofer
3. BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System (not a fan of this design because I think the bottom exit looks much better)

are there any more designs to look into?

does anyone have experience with these designs?

Back
Top Bottom