Questions about Aggressive fish/inverts to stock in a small nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mhilluf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3G with a few guppies. I am going to re-gravel it and plant it today or tomorrow and once it has fully stabilized am looking for something fun to have in the tank.

I was originally drawn to some little blue crayfish I saw in the store. They were in a tank of feeder shrimp and just chasing them around and snagging them for snacks. I thought it would be a lot of fun just to set up a little habitat for one crawfish and some feeder shrimp.

However, I have since read that those little crawfish can grow to 6 inches long, my tank has a BIG foot print ( wide and squat) but I still think its not enough space for a crawfish. Can anyone speak to this? Do the blue crawfish need large tanks for the width or the vertical?

I have looked into the dwarf crawfish, but read that they aren't nearly as aggressive. Can anyone comment?

If I don't go with crawfish, I was hoping to find a fish that preyed on other fish, but it seems that they are typically not really suited for a small nano and I am not a meany.

For the TLDR Crowd:

1. Can a blue crayfish be kept in a small nano if it has a large footprint? (My tank looks a lot like a squat snow globe)

2. Are dwarf crayfish as aggressive as their big brothers? Could I keep one on a diet of live feeders?

3. Any suggestions on small nano-capable fish that feed on feeder fish/shrimp?

1. I wouldn't
2. Maybe not as aggressive, but still can eat things in your tank. If you get a CPO dwarf orange crayfish, and get it about full grown, it could eat shrimp, but also could eat your guppies.
3. Almost any small fish can eat brine shrimp, but that's probably not what you had in mind.....

Back
Top Bottom