Questions about cycling and water testing. Looking for advice from all of you exper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrettkei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 100 gallon tank running for a while now (3 years) which I believed to be cycled. I have recently added a new filter and decor but same unwashed rocks. A few more African cichlids were added a few weeks ago.
I now am cycling a new 30gal and decided to use a water test kit for the first time but I don't quite understand the process.
The 30 gallon has a few goldfish and I used rocks from my larger tank to help the process. I've been testing both tanks to get an idea of where things are at but I'm unsure what it all means. When and how much of water changes should I be doing. I know a constant PH is important but it is changing in my 100gallon. Advice

100g
Thursday. Friday. Monday
Ph. 8.2 7.8 8.0
Am. .25 .25 .25
Nitrite. 0 0 0
Nitrate 5.0 5.0 10.0

30g

Ph. 8.2 8.2 8.2
Am. .5 .5 .5
Nitrite. 0 0 0
Nitrate 5.0 5.0 0

I added BB to both tanks after Thursday readings. Monday 25% water change on each after readings.

Is your old filter still in use on the 100g after you added the new filter? If so, then I wouldn't consider a 3 year tank having 0.25ppm of Ammonia as fine. Maybe there's a small spike for a week or so for the BB to catch up to the new additions to the tank, but it depends on the amount of fish added and the amount of time that has passed (which you said was a few weeks ago).

Back
Top Bottom