Questions about filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thegrumpyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
20180331_155751.jpgthis tank is 150 gallons has "built in sump" its not drilled anywhere it's acrylic. How would I add a refuge to this tank? as I'm trying to build a mixed reef tank.. Could I use a canister filter to do water changes if I removed the filter and plumbed it correctly could make for easyer no lift water changes.

Do you have a top view pic of this tank? No shortage of baffles in that tank. Not sure about where to put the refuge either. I would stick with this over a canister though. The design lends itself to easy maintenance.

Currently I do not have a top picture of this tank. The canister would be strictly for doing water changes not for filtering I just figured I would plumb it under with some valves 4 and tees 2 just flip the return to tank valve off open "drain valve" check inlet valve is from display tank and turn on canister and bam 20 gallons pumps to the street. Switch the drain valve back to drain in tank and switch inlet from tank to the new water container and bam it puts new water in the tank just as fast the new water would go in one of the baffles anyone ever do something like this?

are those the old siphon tub s I had them years ago fish kept knocking them killing the siphon , more a pain than there worth Id go to the newer style filters, I don;t think you'd
need more than 3.

are those the old siphon tub s I had them years ago fish kept knocking them killing the siphon , more a pain than there worth Id go to the newer style filters, I don;t think you'd
need more than 3.

Looks like slots and gravity fed built in “sump”; no S-tubes needed but I know what you are talking about. Watching bubbles build up in the tube of the HOB overflow made me nervous.

You tank and filter setup are prime for an ATS[Algae turf scrubber] or two . They would help way more then a fuge IMO.
As far as a fuge that should be easy also .
You just need eggcrate to build containment areas to keep the macros in place.My cheato just sits in constant flow with a light. Like for the ATS your lighting could all be hooked up to back of tank and not even be seen.. The flow is there as the water will naturally travel at a pretty quick rate depending on pumps used to return. You will have no head pressure or loss with the filter and return being level to tank.
I just make my water up in a brute garbage can and pump it in to my tank.
I have a pump in my sump I use to pump water out into another brute can.
Not sure the canister filter idea is worth it but would probably work.
If you are plumbing any pump /canister into the filter you will be limited as to how much water you can pull before it does not overflow into filter,so maybe a canister plumbed to tank will be a reasonable operating feature at least for removing water.
You have to prep salt water 24 hours in advance so you will have a can and pump already .Maybe the canister will work best for adding that water ,I just use pump and hose to fill my sump.

I was planning on using any old canister filter the cheapest I can find as its not going to be doing anything other than pumping water out and replacing the water....we have to set salt water up 24 hrs prior to using now? I used to keep a 200 gal salt and make the replacement water the same day would set buckets with power heads to mix, and syphon the crushed coral, remove around 20 gallons check buckets salt levels after 25 mins of mixing. Pour 10 gallons in tank set next 10 gallons 25 mins or so later check salinity lvl dump water then 3-4hrs later check tank parameters it ran good for 10 years then I had to move it and it crashed after setting it back up and running for around 6-7 months. I don't wanna spend 3+hrs a week runnin tank water changes setting water up the day or so before is better then a hose to hooked to the pump to the pull water from any buckets or large trash bin to the tank or from the tank to the street would be a large help plus if I make it right I could add a removable tip that runs to the bottom of the tank for a complete drain off if need be

No hard rule on how long you mix water .Most just give it enough time to settle .
My method takes minutes .
I add aprox.12 cups of salt to my 32 brute with powerhead and check it several hours later and make sure it is mixed. I usually just make up next batch right after I use the one before ...
Takes me no longer then my pumps take to pump 20+g out and aprox 30g back in..10-15 minutes all together.
I draw all water out of my sump with a dedicated pump.

Back
Top Bottom