Questions about holding Acei

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So in new still and have a few questions, if anyone can help me by answering them?

Yellow tail Acei...

1) How long do they hold?
2) Does temp of tank make any difference? Like if its warmer than their normal 80 degrees?
3) How many fry are there usually?
4) What if she spits out the eggs before the fry are developed? Then what should I do?

I've tried researching on the internet, but haven't been able to get very far with that for some reason...

Any info would help a lot! Thanks in advance!!!

1) about 3 weeks, but i strip five days after they have hatched in her mouth
2) temp makes them grow faster
3) depends on age, 1st batch can be 10-20, max can be 60 or so.
4) you can make a DIY tumbler (go on youtube for this) and grow them this way, or let nature run and wait for the next batch. they dont tend to spit eggs, just swallow them.

are you going to keep the babies?
will u leave her to spit or will u strip her?
does she have a safe non-harrassment hiding spot?

congrats :D x x x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
1) about 3 weeks, but i strip five days after they have hatched in her mouth
2) temp makes them grow faster
3) depends on age, 1st batch can be 10-20, max can be 60 or so.
4) you can make a DIY tumbler (go on youtube for this) and grow them this way, or let nature run and wait for the next batch. they dont tend to spit eggs, just swallow them.

are you going to keep the babies?
will u leave her to spit or will u strip her?
does she have a safe non-harrassment hiding spot?

congrats :D x x x

Great thanks! I stripped the fry from my Maingano a couple weeks ago.. about 25 of them...I was just curious about Acei, if they are different, or pretty much the same. There are 2 holding, each are in their own planted tanks with plenty of hiding spots...just a little bit ago the one spit out about 10-15 eggs and piled them up, so I'm glad I asked that last question. I guess maybe she got to stressed from the move into this tank? I put them in a small breeder net with an air stone, I hope that's ok for now?? She still has a whole mouth full of eggs, even after spitting those 10-15 out...

sounds ok, as long as temp, parameters and filtration is good the tank would be fine.
that would have been a huge batch had she kept those 10-15 eggs! lol

its great that your fish is holding!! i hope baby fish pics are to come :) x x

sounds ok, as long as temp, parameters and filtration is good the tank would be fine.
that would have been a huge batch had she kept those 10-15 eggs! lol

its great that your fish is holding!! i hope baby fish pics are to come :) x x

I know!!! I'll post pics as soon as I can :)

how is she behaving? my OB zebra was a nightmare, chasing off anything near the cave she stayed in when she held. she was worse during this time than ever before! ha x

how is she behaving? my OB zebra was a nightmare, chasing off anything near the cave she stayed in when she held. she was worse during this time than ever before! ha x

She's fine, but she's in the tank by herself so there's no one else in there to bother her :)

Someone help!!!

Just walked in, my other Acei is still holding, but there's a baby on the sand still attached to the egg, what do I do???

Bully405Customz said:
You can carefully move it to a breeder box or something and it should be fine.

Thank you!!!! It's so sad to see em flipping around not being able to really go anywhere :( Didn't know if it was possible for him to survive or not?

Back
Top Bottom