questions about loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering any kind of loaches only grow into 4-6 inchs max??
Which kind don't have to be in a group??

Does any of the loaches like fast moving water??

In my lfs, they have a loaches called Siamese loaches, I did a search but can't find it, but it looks like the Zebra loaches. Maybe they label the name wrong???

Diesel....

It is quite common for local fish stores to have their own names for certain fish so anything is possible when they talk about 'Siamese Loaches'.

Many loaches will do well in fast-moving water, especially the Schistura species and the Hillstream Loaches (often called 'butterfly loach' or 'butterfly pleco', among other things). Even the more commonly available loaches like the Yo-Yo loach will adapt quite readily to a decent current unless you're talking about a flash flood torrent!!

Yo-Yo loaches might fit your bill nicely....though they do prefer to be in small groups. You don't say what size your tank is and that will have a great deal to do with your selection.

You can keep a dojo loach by himself. They usually grow up to six inches. However my spotted dojo is about 7 inches.

Yo-Yos are great, I have three, but when I only had two, they were doing well. And they are excellent scavengers!

I second the yo-yo loaches! They're great! They grow from 4-6". Unfortunately, just from experience, I would recommend 3 of them. I know you were looking for a loach that didn't have to be in a group, but when I only had 1 in QT with the killifish, he would bother them. A lone yo-yo might be aggressive.

Paul

I really like the Dojo(Weather) loaches.

I think they are from East Asia (Japan)??

I would like to keep one and I think they can be kept in colder water even just above freezing. True?

btw the tank is a 20 gal and want to be only for loaches.

yeah i love my dojo. hes the most active fish in the tank, he swims to the top and gets something like a breath but i think the surface tention keeps him under. like theres a water bubble on top of him its like a thin layer or water but its really cool how close they can get to the top. hes a great bottom eater. hes more like a middle dweller than a bottom feeder because the way his mouth is.

I think I am gonna get Weather Loaches

I am still not sure how big they will get, some said 6 inches and even some said will grow to 9 inches. How big do they really get??

Do you guys think 2 weather loaches will be fine for a 20 gal tank? Are they messy eater??

Around 6 inches, rarely over. My spotted dojo is almost 7, but I think he's pretty much done growing.

There are the regular ones, the spotted ones, and the golden ones.

you could keep at least four if you wanted and they aren't expensive. They will eat anything, mine loves shrimp pellets. I don't think they are messy.

Back
Top Bottom