Questions about Otos and GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Rounding out my stocking plan for my 45 g. I upgraded to a larger tank which is fully cycled. I'm looking for some input on the final inhabitants I am planning for my tank.

Otos

How long is it suggested I wait until I bring home some Otos? Do I really have to wait 6 months! Everytime I see algae I wipe it off - should I let the algae grow instead for the Otos that I don't have yet? Also, what is the optimal group number?

GBR

There is lots of conflicting info about the optimal number. Either a solo male, or a male and a female, or a male and two females. What is the best approach for a peaceful tank?

Thanks!

Otos

How long is it suggested I wait until I bring home some Otos? Do I really have to wait 6 months! Everytime I see algae I wipe it off - should I let the algae grow instead for the Otos that I don't have yet? Also, what is the optimal group number?
You can add them once your tank is stable. You do not need to wait 6 months. Just acclimate them carefully. That being said, a bristlenose pleco may be worth considering instead for a tank that large.

GBR

There is lots of conflicting info about the optimal number. Either a solo male, or a male and a female, or a male and two females. What is the best approach for a peaceful tank?
To maximize the peacefulness of your tank a single specimen is going to be the most peaceful. A pair will usually work depending on the other inhabitants but they will become somewhat territorial when they spawn. A trio(mff) will more often than not result in a pair. However, some people have had it work.

I tried adding two males and two female GBRs, hoping to get a pair and then remove the other two. I left over the weekend after I added them, and just my luck two of them paired off, killed the other female and exiled the other male.

Which is to say, I don't think trios work well with ram cichlids. (Considering they outright killed the non-paired female)

My remaining pair spawned (or at least went through the motions of it) and while they were "spawning" they commited all manner of violence against my corydoras catfish. They are downright nasty when spawning. But once it's over theyre very peaceful.

So, the most peaceful option is a single specimen. A pair can work. Don't do a trio. (+1 to dalto)

If you're worried about not having enough bio-film built up yet to feed the otos, you could just add 2 or 3 to start with and see how they do. Add more as the tank matures. The more the better, but the maximum number will depend on the amount of surface area for bio-film to grow on. For example, a heavily planted tank will support more otos than a non-planted one.

Okay! So it's definitely a single specimen (male) GBR.

As for the Otos, I'm building a heavily planted tank. It's got a few rummy nose and harlequins, 2 honey gourami, 1 platy, 3 corys so far. I can't wait to get the Otos!! It's going to take a lot of self discipline to hold off. What defines "stable"?

In a 45g I don't think you have as much of a problem with angry spawning GBRs. If it's planted and there is enough to break up lines of sight and give them a place to lay eggs then you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about the pair being a problem a larger fish like angels maybe but I say why not go with a pair and see how it works out.

Hmmmm. Now I'm not sure if I should go with one or a pair. I don't want my cories to get picked on, so I tend to think one, but on the other hand, the GBR were sort of my centerpiece idea and I wonder if one will stand out. If I were to get just 1 GBR, is there a another interesting peaceful fish I could add?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think a pair of Rams will hurt your cories.

Honestly, in order to see the full behavior of the rams you will need a pair. I would go with a pair for sure if it was me. I only recommended a single fish because technically it would be more peaceful.

In your size tank you shouldn't be worried at all about the rams and Corys.

Rams are definitely best kept as a pair. I agree that keeping a pair will be most enjoyable to you. Also agreed that rams pair off, so 3 is not a good number. Apistos are the harem dwarf cichlids. With them you would keep a male with several females - a distinct behavioral difference between rams and apistos.

So it sounds like a pair is my best bet. Maybe I should also add another rock formation that adds another hiding spot. When you mention spawning are we talking about offspring that will survive? What does one do with baby GBRs?!

So it sounds like a pair is my best bet. Maybe I should also add another rock formation that adds another hiding spot. When you mention spawning are we talking about offspring that will survive? What does one do with baby GBRs?!

Gbrs pretty much guard their eggs like many SA cichlids but may eat the the first few spawns or so. They will eat unfertilized or dead eggs which are white too. When fry become free swimming it's probably best to remove them as they'll probably get eaten or you could remove them whilst they're still eggs and see how that goes but raising fry is hardwork much like angels and other cichlids.

I've only been keeping fish since April, but I've been keeping Otos in my 29 since may and haven't lost any in that tank except to a filter accident so ...

If you have algae, in my opinion, you're ready for Otos. I'd get a bunch of them. When I had 6 they hid, but at 8 they started to come out a lot.

I'd suggest you take care with where you get them and when. I lost all 3 in a 10 gallon when they'd arrived days earlier to PetSmart. But later I got 4 from PetSmart, when they told me they'd been in the store for 10 days. Otos seem to die early or not at all.

And the ones I've gotten from the LFS that had been in the store for a month have been especially happy and active.

I always drip acclimate them (all my fish actually). It's so easy: out the fish store bag in a pitcher or something that holds it upright, run a short length of airline tubing, start a siphon, and knot it so it's dripping about a drop per second. If the room temp is way off the tank temp I'll also put tank water around the outside of the bag to help.

And I know I'm not supposed to but I just dump them in from there with the water after about 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It is unlikely the fry(baby fish) will survive in a community setting. They will probably be eaten by the other fish or the parents.

Back
Top Bottom