questions about suspended algae-- HEEEEEEEEELLLLPP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toyotasrfun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it's prolly too quick to ask this because i havent seen my buddies tank as i just got off the phone with him
but he's telling me that some plants i bought him had algae attached to them and have given him suspended algae..
now.. i'm finding this a little awkward because i have THE EXACT same plants in my tank, my tank is smaller than his
i've got a 40 gallon he's got a 55 gallon
the plants that i put in my tank came from the same bunches that went in his tank
basically i'm pissed cause he's telling me that i gave him suspended algae..
meanwhile his tank is in direct sunlight and it's only been running a few days.. it's EXTREMELY new.. i'm honestly not even sure the cycling is done because it hasnt been running that long
please help me out
i've been trying to help him out with his recent big purchase but am finding out each and every time i talk to him that he isnt knowledgeable about many things and listens to too many people who dont have the experience themselves..
any help would be appreciated.. i'm becoming very frustrated and he's taken the plants out of that tank and put them in another with NO LIGHT AT ALL.. it might come to me taking the plants back.. heck.. they cost a fair amount of money and if he's not going to appreciate the gift.. i dont mind just trading them to someone in the area for something i might be able to use in my tank
i dont think i'll be able to use them because they're GIGANTIC..
here's what they are if you're wondering
there's java moss, ludwigia, and cryp-tonkinensis
the plants are too beautiful to go to waste and i'll use them in my tank if he's going to make a fuss about them..
i've had my fill..
i'm at the point where i'll just let nature take it's course and let him deal with his tank his way... which is what i'm beginning to think is what i should have done from the beginning.. let him figure out what works and what doesnt on his own.. no use in saving someone the trouble if they're going to frustrate you to death about it
thanks guys
hope to hear your replies soon

OK,

It's not your fault. The tank you describe is a perfect candidate for algae growth. There will always be small amounts of algae and spores present on any plant you buy from an LFS or even from a friends tank that *appears* to not have any algae. Here's what he has going against him:

1. Tank in direct sunlight. This is generally very bad since there is a LOT of light present, in a large spectrum. I assume he has no CO2 injection, nor is he dosing fertilizers, so he basically has nothing plant friendly except for light. This is prime algae growth conditions.

2. The tank is new. He probably has elevated ammonia levels which again are prime food sources for algae.

3. Very low plant numbers in a large tank. Even IF you had all the proper nutrients and light levels and CO2, the tank is so large that there is no way for the existing plants to outcompete the algae.

I would tell him to put the plants back in the 55gallon tank. While they will probably not help the condition, they will certaintly not HURT it. He needs to find a way to prevent direct sunlight from reaching the tank, and if he wishes to keep plants get a dosing schedule setup for ferts. Frequent water changes are also going to be necessary, but its going to be virtually impossible to completely prevent algae.

Honestly he would have probably have gotten an algae outbreak even if you didn't give him the plants (algae spores are common in the air).

So don't feel bad, he's doing all the wrong things and blaming you.

toyotarsrfun,

Perhaps you could send him a link to this board. Over the last 2 years I have found this board to be an absolute treasure trove of useful information for a new aquarist.

thanks for everything guys
i've given up on him
we went to the fish store, they told him, i told him , i sent him the article, he selectively hears things, nothing more i can or want to do about the situation
i figure i'll let him go about doing it his way
it is after all, his tank
thanks for the help though
if anything you guys at least put my mind to peace
and that's worth more than i can express
thanks so very much

This is why I stopped building computers for friends and upgrading them. I was told that an upgrade I did to someones system caused corruption of their harddrive. I ran a virus scanner on it and came up with 32 known viruses (yes 32).. Point is, there are people that no matter what you try and do, anything that is their error is your fault and quite frankly I would tell him to either accept your advice or accept others, but don't ask questions just to say "you're wrong, so and so told me it was this".. It's obvious that helping him out is causing you grief.

oh it's not even that i asked the questions in the first place to go over to him and tell him he was wrong
i asked so that i would know
then i made sure that we were together when we asked at the few local fish stores in our area with experience
problem was that he selectively heard what he wanted and it was still my fault.. like i said though
i'm finished helping him, the most i will do is go with him to a fish store, i wont have anymore opinion or advice to offer cause im wrong either way
this isnt supposed to stress me out and it wont anymore
thanks though guys
you really put my own mind to peace

Back
Top Bottom