Questions and my theory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sophiamarvv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question about fish in cycles. First off, a little background information: my LFS accidentally ordered some very expensive bettas, and I'm going to pick one up today that is a solid white half moon male. I am super excited about him and in the process of setting up my extra tank for him right now. Now here comes my theory: bettas are kept in little cups that are cleaned out every day or so, depending on the store. If I set up my tank, put him in, even without it being cycled yet, and watch it (by which I mean testing twice a day to make sure there are no spikes, and doing changes when something is a bit high) is this not the exact same thing that is going on in the little cup he's been living in? So with this isn't it the same as a fish in cycle and therefore if I put him in tonight even before my bacteria is established, I should be just as fine as if I kept him in the cup, as long as I watch the water quality?

That is what you would call a fish-in cycle, and yes it can be done, even safely, if done properly. Religious testing, religious water changes. You can't get lazy with a fish in cycle.

Bettas are quite hardy so it's possible, Could you pinch some media/substrate/ornaments from your other tank to help?

Or even ask your lfs if they have any spare media, just to make it less stressful for the fish

I never understand media, do you mean the filters that you put charcoal in or the charcoal themselves?

Media refers to the parts In Your filter where the bacteria forms. So the charcoal the sponge the bio rings etc are all classed as media. A bit of sponge is usually good, when I get a new tank I cut one in half from an existing tank.

Oh okay. I'll probably take some charcoal because I use those little mesh bags so I won't be able to take a part of that. Thank you! :)

No worries, hope everything goes well, don't forget to post some pics =)

It's more than possible. Don't jump all over me for saying this but I wouldn't even consider cycling a 5 gallon tank for a betta. I would think he would do fine if he was just put in. Just do you water changes as usual and your fish will be fine. My sisters betta went In a 5 gallon planted tank up cycled and will weekly 75% water changes never picked up a hint of ammonia or nitrate/ nitrite.

Awesome! I'm glad neither or you two responders have yelled at me either, I see people getting a lot of crap for fish-in cycles, but I'm home right now every day and will be able to keep a close eye. This little guy is getting my spare 20gal for his home so I'm sure that I won't have too many problems with spikes either considering he's a tiny little thing going in this big tank. :)

Awesome! I'm glad neither or you two responders have yelled at me either, I see people getting a lot of crap for fish-in cycles, but I'm home right now every day and will be able to keep a close eye. This little guy is getting my spare 20gal for his home so I'm sure that I won't have too many problems with spikes either considering he's a tiny little thing going in this big tank. :)

He is one lucky little guy! You will be perfectly fine doing a fishin cycle with him as the sole fish in a 20g! If you add some media from your other tank, you likely will not see any spikes in ammonia or nitrite so don't be overly concerned if this happens. :)

I did add some media in this filter so hopefully that will help :) I forgot to buy Betta food last night when I went to pick him up so he didn't eat (he's a picky one, spit every flake out that I did put in there to give him something!) last night but he'll get a nice meal tonight. My heater crapped out on me last night so I woke up with him at 74 degrees! My roommate has a spare one that he's letting me borrow so I can get him up to 78 at least. I don't know if the picture will show up since I'm on the app but here's one if you can see it :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400335730.695593.jpg
Not a great picture as he's quite hyper and I barely got him to stop for even a second!

Nice colour, bet he looks great when he flares. Mines the opposite he loves flakes over pellets and goes mad for dried blood worms

I am probably, technically, a horrible fish person for this, but I've only ever let my new tank sit over night before adding fish, and all of mine have been fine. The last time was I set up a 2.3 gallon, and pretty much immediately threw in the beta, under the belief that they were tolerant fish. Said betta is still going two months later, as are all my other fish that I had at time of transfer.

Nice colour, bet he looks great when he flares. Mines the opposite he loves flakes over pellets and goes mad for dried blood worms

He's flared once for me and it was adorable, I think he's still quite young and his fins are still coming in so they're kinda small so far. I'm probably going to just go for pellets at the moment but I also think he might have not liked it because it's regular fish flakes, maybe? Haha what color is yours?

I am probably, technically, a horrible fish person for this, but I've only ever let my new tank sit over night before adding fish, and all of mine have been fine. The last time was I set up a 2.3 gallon, and pretty much immediately threw in the beta, under the belief that they were tolerant fish. Said betta is still going two months later, as are all my other fish that I had at time of transfer.

Yeah I actually don't feel the need to do fish less cycles unless the person is hardly home and won't have the chance to really test the water. Otherwise I think as long as your responsible, it should be pretty simple :)

He's flared once for me and it was adorable, I think he's still quite young and his fins are still coming in so they're kinda small so far. I'm probably going to just go for pellets at the moment but I also think he might have not liked it because it's regular fish flakes, maybe? Haha what color is yours?

Maybe, I have betta flakes they have bits of brine shrimp in, think he was fed flakes in shop though. Been trying to get him to jump for worms atm, he's nearly there. Mines a mustard gass, has some slight fin curling though, think he was born with it but it gives him personality.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400341554.440214.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400341606.659903.jpg

Maybe, I have betta flakes they have bits of brine shrimp in, think he was fed flakes in shop though. Been trying to get him to jump for worms atm, he's nearly there. Mines a mustard gass, has some slight fin curling though, think he was born with it but it gives him personality.

View attachment 237518View attachment 237519

Oh gosh that is a gorgeous fish! Do you just hold the worms at the top until they get the hint that they're supposed to jump? I hear people train their bettas to flare on comand. I love them because they have so much personality!

Back
Top Bottom